November 12, 2013
By Mark Janssen
Bill Snyder is running out of milestones, but with Saturday's thrashing of Texas Tech, the Wildcat coach notched Big 8/12 Conference victory No. 100 in his 22-year career.
Oh yes, it was also win No. 175 overall for an average of just a fraction of a fraction less than eight victories a season, which will be the goal again this regular season.
Those are numbers that bring back some of the comments made about Mr. Snyder throughout the last two-plus decades when he literally took the losingest program in college football history and turned it into one of the model programs in the nation.
"Coach Snyder gave every program in college football reason to believe that high aspirations could become reality with sound coaching and talent evaluation," said former K-State defensive coordinator and now Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops. "We look around the country now at a much more level playing field and I don't think it's a stretch to give Coach Snyder at least part of the credit for that national change."
"It's not even possible to say Kansas State without acknowledging or mentioning Bill Snyder," said former Texas Tech coach Mike Leach. "There are a lot of things Bill Snyder revolutionized football wise, just little things, organizing things. He has been one of a kind in the way he would analyze things and study things."
And, of course the favorite of all quotes on Snyder came from legendary Oklahoma coach Barry Switzer: "Bill Snyder is not the Coach of the Year or Coach of the Decade, he's the Coach of the Century."
With those salutes being given, just for fun "Sports Extra" ranked the Top 10 All-Time Regular Season Big 8/12 victories out of the now 100 to choose from.
Of course that 35-7 victory over Oklahoma in the 2003 Big 12 Championship game is the all-time, all-time win over a league team, but here is the Top 10 list from regular-season play.
TOP 10 BILL SNYDER-COACHED BIG 8/12 WINS
1) KANSAS STATE 24, MISSOURI 14 ... NOV. 22, 2003 -- After opening the season at 4-3, this was the sixth Wildcat win in a row to close the season and the one that wrapped up the Big 12 North title and set the stage for the Big 12 Championship win over the Sooners. Darren Sproles rushed the ball an amazing 43 times for 273 yards against the Tigers.
2) KANSAS STATE 42, TEXAS 24 ... DEC. 1, 2012 -- The victory over the Longhorns was highlighted by a three-touchdown performance from Collin Klein and secured the Big 12 Conference championship and a trip to the Fiesta Bowl.
3) KANSAS STATE 40, NEBRASKA 30 ... NOV. 14, 1998 - The victory snapped a 29-game losing streak ... 10,962 days ... to the Cornhuskers that dated back to a 12-0 skunking of the Big Red by Lynn Dickey's Wildcats in 1968. It wasn't an upset as K-State was ranked No. 1 in the nation in the USA Today poll and made the 'Cats 10-0. NU was ranked No. 11 nationally. A crowd of 44,298 viewed the game in the 42,000-seat KSU Stadium.
4) KANSAS STATE 23, OKLAHOMA STATE 17 ... OCT. 13, 1990 - The win was Snyder's fifth overall and first in Big 8 Conference play snapping a 27-game league non-winning streak (0-26-1) that dated back to the 1986 season.
5) KANSAS STATE 48, TEXAS 7 ... SEPT. 19, 1998 - Kansas State's 'Lynch Mob' defense was never better in limiting eventual Heisman Trophy winner Ricky Williams to just 43 yards on 25 carries. He entered the game with a 237-yard per game average.
6) KANSAS STATE 21, OKLAHOMA 7 ... Oct. 30, 1993 - The victory over the No. 13 Sooners was the first against a ranked team in the Snyder era. It was also the first Kansas State victory over the Oklahoma program dating back to the 1970 season snapping a 22-game losing streak. K-State had been 0-74-1 in the previous 75 games against ranked teams.
7) KANSAS STATE 41, KANSAS 7 ... OCT. 28 1995 - The Jayhawks entered the game ranked No. 6 in the nation making this a win at the time against the highest ranked team in school history. The Wildcat defense held Kansas to just 155 total yards of offense.
8) KANSAS STATE 31, MISSOURI 25 ... NOV. 21, 1998 - The victory completed an undefeated 11-0 regular season and gave the 'Cats their first Big 12 North title.
9) KANSAS STATE 49, BAYLOR 6 ... NOV. 7, 1998 - This victory over the Bears elevated K-State to No. 1 in the nation in the USA Today Poll and No. 2 in the Associated Press listing. Afterward, coach Bill Snyder said, "We were proud, but my caution to the team was, 'Let's wait until the season is over to celebrate.' "
10) KANSAS STATE 21, TEXAS TECH 14 ... AUG. 31, 1996 - The game was the first in Big 12 history. While the Red Raiders dominated by running 119 plays for 392 yards, it was the team in Purple that won the historic inaugural Big 12 Conference win. The 'Cats had a negative-12 rushing yards and just 160 yards of total offense ... yet won.
Now you make your own list!
We hope you enjoy K-State Sports Extra. We would like to hear your comments and any story ideas for future emails, so fire them our way. Contact Kelly McHugh, Mark Janssen or K-State Assistant AD for Communications Kenny Lannou.