Kansas State Men's Basketball Postgame Notes
January 18, 2010 • Bramlage Coliseum • Manhattan, Kan.
No. 10/9 Kansas State 71 (16-2, 3-1 Big 12), No. 1/1 Texas 62 (17-1, 3-1 Big 12)
- Kansas State moved to 11-9 all-time against Texas, including a record of 6-3 at home against the Longhorns... The Wildcats moved to 16-2 on the season, which ties for the fourth-best record in school history after 18 games and the best since also starting 16-2 in the 1961-62 season... Kansas State moved to 256-88 (.744) all-time in Bramlage Coliseum... A rowdy, sell-out crowd of 12,528 attended tonight's contest... This is the seventh sellout of Bramlage on the year... Coach Frank Martin is now 43-5 in games played in Bramlage Coliseum.
- Before tonight's victory, the last time K-State beat the No. 1-ranked team in the nation, was on February 8th, 1990, when the Wildcats defeated Missouri, 65-58... The Wildcats are now 3-12 against the top team in the country.
- Tonight's contest marked the first meeting of Top 10 teams in Bramlage Coliseum's history... Kansas State's last game in which both squads were ranked in the Top 10 was on March 15th, 1973, when the 'Cats defeated Louisiana-Lafayette 66-63... The last time two Top 10 teams played in Manhattan was on March 3rd, 1962, when K-State topped Big Eight rival Colorado, 60-48... K-State is 9-11 all-time in games when both teams are ranked in the Top 10.
- The Wildcats' starting five Monday night consisted of junior guard Jacob Pullen, senior guard Denis Clemente, junior forward Dominique Sutton, junior forward Curtis Kelly and senior forward Luis Colon... This is the fifth time in six games the 'Cats have used this starting lineup this year, with a record of 4-1 over that six-game stretch ... Pullen has now started in 50 straight games for the Wildcats, while he extended his streak as the team's leader in most consecutive games played to 83.
- K-State held the 'Horns to a season-low 26 first-half points, leading the 'Horns at the break, 36-26... The Wildcats are 16-0 this season when leading at the half... The 14-point lead opened up by the 'Cats in the first half was the largest deficit Texas has faced this season... Sophomore Jamar Samuels led all scorers at intermission with 15 points.
- Jamar Samuels played a key role as the sixth-man, leading the Wildcats in scoring with 15 of his 20 points in the first half... He also added 12 rebounds on the night, finishing with his first double-double of the season and the second of his career... Samuels has led the Wildcats in scoring three times this season.
- Four Wildcats scored in double figures on Monday... K-State is 11-1 when four or more players score in double figures.
- Curtis Kelly notched 17 points against the Longhorns, while adding 8 rebounds.
- Jacob Pullen scored 12 points on the night... He has scored in double figures in every contest this season.
- Rodney McGruder was a pivotal performer off the bench, notching 11 points, including a stellar three-point play late in the second half.
- The Wildcats have won 20 of the last 27 games played in January... K-State is currently on a 14-game winning streak at Bramlage Coliseum, the longest streak in the building's history.