K-State Set to Host Baylor at Ahearn Saturday Night
K-State Set to Host Baylor at Ahearn Saturday Night
OCT 29, 7:00 PM
Ahearn Field House
18-6 (6-2 Big 12)
16-6 (5-4 Big 12)
MANHATTAN, Kan. – The Kansas State volleyball team seeks its 10th home win of the season as it welcomes Baylor to Ahearn Field House Saturday. First serve is scheduled for 7 p.m., and will be broadcast nationally on FOX College Sports Central and K-StateHD.TV.
K-State (16-6, 5-4 Big 12) looks to avenge a straight-set loss earlier this season against Baylor (18-6, 6-2), who has won the last two meetings in the series.
Brian Smoller and Liz Wegner-Busch will call the action on FCS Central (DirecTV channel 608, Dish channel 451). Fans can also listen to Rob Voelker call the match on local radio at 1350 KMAN and at k-statesports.com.
AT A GLANCE
· Kansas State returns to Ahearn Field House Saturday for its second matchup with Baylor (18-6, 6-2 Big 12) at 7 p.m.
· Baylor took the season’s first meeting in three sets in Waco, Texas, on Sept. 25.
· Katie Brand (K-State) and Katie Staiger (Baylor) are atop the Big 12 with 13 and 12 double-doubles, respectively, this season.
· The match will be broadcast nationally on K-StateHD.TV and on FOX College Sports Central (DirecTV channel 608, Dish channel 451).
· Fans can also listen to the match on local radio at 1350 KMAN and on K-StateSports.com.
LAST TIME OUT
· K-State fell in four sets at Iowa State Wednesday night on ESPNU.
· The Wildcats are winless in their last nine trips to Ames, Iowa - last winning in 2007.
· It was the first time this season the Cats have lost a match when winning the opening set (12-1).
· Brooke Sassin paced all players with 19 kills while Katie Brand and Bryna Vogel each recorded double-doubles against the Cyclones.
· Brand has recorded an assist-dig double-double in three straight matches while Vogel has a kill-dig double-double in two straight.
· Elle Sandbothe tallied career highs in kills (6) and blocks (7).
A LOOK AT K-STATE
· Kansas State (16-6, 5-4 Big 12) comes into the match with the Cyclones having won four of its last six matches and 6-4 in its last 10.
· K-State is receiving votes in the AVCA top 25 poll for the fifth straight week.
· The Wildcats have been ranked or received votes in the poll in eight consecutive weeks, peaking at a No. 23 ranking.
· K-State is 12-1 this season when winning the first set and 8-3 when tied at 1-1.
· In the NCAA’s latest RPI release of the season, K-State comes in at No. 17 - the second highest of any Big 12 team (3. Texas).
· K-State has registered more kills than its opponent in 12 of the last 15 matches.
· Kansas State leads the Big 12 in team kills/set with 14.25, which ranks 20th nationally.
· The team’s 13.66 assists/set are tops in the conference and fifth-best in the NCAA.
· K-State has never finished a season in which it led the conference in team kills/set or assists/set.
· Overall, K-State ranks in the top three of the Big 12 in 11 major team statistical categories.
A LOOK AT BAYLOR
· Baylor, off a mid-week bye, defeated Oklahoma in four sets in Waco on Oct. 22.
· The Bears are 8-2 in their last 10 matches and are currently riding a three-match winning streak.
· BU is led by junior outside hitter Katie Staiger, who is tops in the Big 12 and fourth in the NCAA with 5.48 kills/set.
· Staiger has been named Big 12 Offensive Player of the Week four times this season.
· Baylor is No. 1 in the Big 12 with 2.56 blocks/set and second with 15.88 digs/set.
A LOOK AT THE SERIES
· Kansas State leads the all-time series, 27-15, dating back to 1993.
· Baylor has won the last two matchups, including a straight-set victory in Waco, Texas, on Sept. 25.
· The teams have split the season series each year since 2012.
· Baylor last swept the season series in 2010.
· K-State is 7-3 in the last 10 home matches in the series.
· Head coach Suzie Fritz is 20-11 all-time vs. the Bears and is 12-3 at home.
· Staiger posted 23 kills and 11 digs while hitting .373 in the season’s first meeting while no Wildcat reached double-figure kills in the match.
OFFENSE VS. DEFENSE
· Kansas State leads the conference in kills/set and assists/set while ranking second in hitting percentage and service aces/set.
· Baylor is best in the Big 12 in blocks/set and is No. 2 in opponent hitting percentage and digs/set.
PROTECT THIS HOUSE
· K-State is 7-1 at Ahearn Field House this season and 9-2 at home overall.
· The Cats look for their 10th win at home this season - something they have not done since 2013.
· K-State is 59-16 (.789) at home since the start of the 2011 season and is 55-7 (.887) against unranked opponents at home in that span.
· Kansas State owns a 356-168-5 (.678) all-time record at Ahearn Field House.
· Since 2011, the Cats are 31-13 (.705) in home conference matches.
LUCKY NO. 4
· Kansas State is 9-2 in four-set matches this season, just one win shy of equaling the school record for four-set victories in a season (1987).
· K-State is 10-4 in the fourth set overall and 4-2 in the set in conference matches.
· In Big 12 matches, the Wildcats have a +14 point differential in the fourth set, best of any single set.
· K-State has a point differential of +45 in the fourth set this overall this season.
TOP OF THE BIG 12
· K-State ranks in the top three of the Big 12 in 11 major team statistical categories, including being the top team in kills/set (14.25) and assists/set (13.66).
· K-State has never finished as the conference’s leader in team kills/set or assists/set.
· Senior middle blocker Katie Reininger ranks fourth in the Big 12 in conference matches, hitting .358 through eight league matches.
· Kersten Kober (3.48, 7th) and Bryna Vogel (3.35, 10th) rank in the top 10 in digs/set in conference matches.
· Redshirt senior setter Katie Brand is tied for the Big 12 lead with 13 double-doubles this season.
· Brand has recorded an assist-dig double-double in nine of the last 11 matches.
· Her career double-double total currently sits at 63, which is six shy of equaling K-State’s all-time mark of 69 held by Kim Zschau (1995-98).
· She became the eighth Wildcat to join the Double-Grand Club as she now has over 4,000 career assists and 1,000 career digs.
· Brand is the Big 12’s active career leader in assists, leading the next highest by nearly a thousand, and is No. 4 on the NCAA’s active career assists list.
· Senior outside hitter Brooke Sassin’s 951 career kills ranks her seventh on K-State’s career kill list in the rally-scoring era (since 2001).
· She leads the team with 15 matches in double-figure kills, having done so in three straight matches and six of the last seven overall.
· Sassin has posted a double-doubles in two of the last three matches.
· Junior opposite Bryna Vogel eclipsed 500 career kills in the five-set win over WVU Saturday.
· Vogel has a kill-dig double-double in back-to-back matches.
· She tallied a season-high five blocks vs. WVU - a new Big 12 career high.
IF THE SCHU FITS
Sophomore outside hitter Alyssa
Schultejans has reached double-figure kills in three of the last four matches.
· Against West Virginia, Schultejans tied her career high with four service aces.