K-State Shuts Out South Dakota, 34-0




0-1 (0-0 MVC)

1-0 (0-0 Big 12)

R. Saeger (QB): 18-30, 205yds
M. Fredrick RB): 8car, 19yds
E. Shufford (WR): 6rec 79yds

J. Hubener (QB): 9-18, 147yds, 1TD
J. Silmon (RB): 6car, 51yds
D. Heath (WR): 3rec 54yds

TEAM 1 2 3 4 F
South Dakota 0 0 0 0 0
K-State 7 17 3 7 34

MANHATTAN, Kan. – Senior Morgan Burns set the tone for the night by returning the opening kickoff 100 yards for a touchdown and the defense posted its first shutout in a season opener in 16 seasons, as Kansas State rolled to a 34-0 win on Saturday night before a sellout crowd at Bill Snyder Family Stadium.

The Wildcats (1-0) held the Coyotes (0-1) to 266 total yards, including just 61 on the ground, to record its first shutout in a season opener since back-to-back shutouts to open the 1998 (66-0 over Indiana State) and 1999 (40-0 over Temple) seasons. It marked the 21st time in the last 53 games that the squad has held their opponent to less than 100 yards rushing. Overall, it was the first shutout since blanking Texas, 23-0, in 2014.

On the offensive side, K-State accumulated 332 yards of total offense, including 185 yards on the ground. Redshirt freshman Justin Silmon led the way with 51 yards on just six carries, including a jaunt of 18 yards, while fellow freshman Winston Dimel added a pair of touchdowns on eight carries for 29 yards.

Junior quarterback Joe Huebner, who replaced starter Jesse Ertz on the second play of the game due to injury, finished 9-of-18 through the air for 147 yards and a touchdown to go with 38 rushing yards.

The day was highlighted by the induction of the four newest Ring of Honor members, as former Wildcats Clarence Scott, Michael Bishop, Darren Sproles and Jordy Nelson watched their names be forever etched into K-State history. In addition, head coach Bill Snyder was recognized before the game for his induction into the College Football Hall of Fame this December.

How It Happened | 1st Half

The Wildcats wasted no time scoring its first touchdown of the 2015 season, Burns returned the opening kickoff 100 yards to start the game to give the Wildcats a 7-0 lead. 

Burns’ kickoff return extend K-State’s streak with a kickoff return to 11-straight years. 

K-State would extend the lead to 10, thanks to the leg of Matthew McCrane, who converted on a 23-yard field goal with 13:30 left in the second quarter.

The offense then found its rhythm in the second quarter, beginning with a 2-yard touchdown run by Dimel with 9:18 remaining in the second quarter. It marked Dimel’s first touchdown of his career.

The Wildcats added to their lead just four minutes later, as Hubener connected with wide receiver Deante Burton for a 24-yard touchdown reception with 5:45 before halftime.

The defense forced one fumble and allowed just 23 rushing yards on 16 attempts. 

How It Happened | 2nd Half

McCrane would score the only points of the third quarter, connecting on a 28-yard field goal to give the Wildcats a 27-0 lead at the 3:08 mark.

Dimel would punch in his second touchdown of the night with 7:28 remaining in the game, scoring from one yard out to complete the scoring at 34-0.

The defense forced two turnover-on-downs in the second half, along with another forced fumble.

Up Next: at Texas-San Antonio (0-1)

K-State will be in action next Saturday, as the team travels to San Antonio to take on the UTSA Roadrunners. Kickoff for the game is set for 11 a.m. CST and will be aired nationally on Fox Sports 1.