K-State to Face 1/1 Kansas in Big 12 Quarterfinals
K-State to Face 1/1 Kansas in Big 12 Quarterfinals
MARCH 10, 1:30 PM
Kansas City, MO
17-15 (5-13 Big 12)
27-4 (15-3 Big 12)
Sirius 93/XM 199
• Brent Musburger (play-by-play)
• Fran Fraschilla (analyst)
• Holly Rowe (sideline reporter)
K-State Sports Network
• Wyatt Thompson (play-by-play)
• Stan Weber (analyst)
Satellite Radio: Sirius 93/XM 199
K-State Game Center at kstatesports.com
Kansas State: Bruce Weber (Wis.-Milwaukee ’78)
Overall: 392-208/18th season
At K-State: 79-53/4th season
vs. Kansas: 2-8 (0-2 neutral)
Kansas: Bill Self (Oklahoma State ‘85)
Overall: 586-187/23rd season
At Kansas: 379-81/13th season
vs. Kansas State: 22-5 (4-0 neutral)
PROJECTED STARTING LINEUP
Kansas State (17-15, 5-13 Big 12)
G: #25 Wesley Iwundu (12.0 ppg., 4.6 rpg.)
G: #5 Barry Brown (8.8 ppg., 2.8 rpg.)
G: #14 Justin Edwards (12.3 ppg., 5.8 rpg.)
F: #32 Dean Wade (10.1 ppg., 5.1 rpg.)
F: #4 D.J. Johnson (9.2 ppg., 5.4 rpg.)
1/1 Kansas (27-4, 15-3 Big 12)
G: #0 Frank Mason III (13.4 ppg., 4.6 apg.)
G: #4 Devonte Graham (11.2 ppg., 3.5 apg.)
G: #1 Wayne Selden, Jr. (13.4 ppg., 2.5 apg.)
F: #34 Perry Ellis (16.5 ppg., 6.0 rpg.)
F: #33 Landen Lucas (5.3 ppg., 6.3 rpg.)
INSIDE THE SERIES
Overall: Kansas leads 190-93 (series began in 1907)
In Big 12 era: Kansas leads 42-5
At Big 8/12 Championship: Kansas leads 14-7 (last meeting - 3/16/2013)
Current Streak: Kansas, 2
Last Meeting: Kansas, 72-63, in Manhattan, on 2/20/2016
Weber vs. Kansas: 2-8 (0-2 at neutral sites)
Weber vs. Self: 3-9 (0-2 at neutral sites)
• Kansas State (17-15, 5-13 Big 12) continues play in the Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship on Thursday, as the No. 8 seed Wildcats play top-seed and No. 1/1 Kansas (27-4, 15-3 Big 12) at 1:30 p.m. CT on ESPN2.
• K-State earned their first win at the Championship since 2013, snapping a 3-game skid, with its 75-71 victory over No. 9 seed Oklahoma State on Wednesday night. Freshman Dean Wade capped his first career 20-point game with a pair of free throws with 5 seconds remaining to close out the victory.
• K-State and Kansas will meet in the Big Eight/12 Championship for the 23rd time with the Jayhawks holding a 14-7 edge, including an 11-game winning streak dating back to 1994. The Wildcats have not won a game in the Championship against their archrival since a 74-67 victory in the second round of the 1993 Big Eight Tournament at Kemper Arena.
• Kansas leads the all-time series, 190-93, including 42-5 in the Big 12 era. The Jayhawks won both regular season meetings, including 77-59 on Feb. 3 at home and 72-63 on Feb. 20 in Manhattan.
• The rivalry ranks as the 8th-longest continuously played in the country (met every season since 1921) with the 6th-most games played (283). The Jayhawks lead the series, 189-93, including 75-47 in Manhattan.
• K-State will the AP No. 1 team in the country for the 19th time on Thursday, boasting a 5-13 record in those matchups, including wins against Kansas in 1994 and 2011. Overall, it marks the ninth time (2-6) that the Wildcats have faced a top-ranked Jayhawk squad.
• All 5 of K-State’s wins over No. 1 have come at home, including an 80-69 win over the top-ranked Oklahoma Sooners on Feb. 6 at home. It is the Wildcats’ only victory over a Top 25 opponent this season in 13 tries.
• K-State will play its school-record 14 Top 25 opponent on Thursday, including the 12th against a Big 12 foe. The Wildcats own the 20th-best strength of schedule in the country, which includes two conference champions (North Carolina and Texas A&M)… Thirteen of the 15 losses have come to teams that are currently ranked in the AP Top 25, including 6 in Top 10, with a combined record of 186-61 (.753).
• K-State is now 32-37 all-time at the Big 8/12 Championship dating back to 1977, including a 12-19 mark in the 20-year history of the Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship. The Wildcats have won 2 titles (1977, 1980), while they have advanced to the finals on 5 other occasions.
• K-State is 31-32 when the championship is held in Kansas City, including 5-7 in the Sprint Center (2008, 2010-15).
• This will be the 14th meeting against the No. 1 seed in the Championship with the Wildcats posting a 2-11 record in those matchups.
• It marks the second consecutive season that the Wildcats have been the No. 8 seed. Overall, this is the 6th time (1986, 1991, 1995, 1998, 2015) K-State has been the No. 8 seed with a 2-5 mark in those appearances, including 2-2 in the Big 12 era.
• K-State is 13-11 in the Sprint Center, including 2-1 this season. The team knocked off Missouri, 66-42, on Nov. 23 then lost to No. 9/8 North Carolina, 80-70, on Nov. 24 in the CBE Hall of Fame Classic Championship before Wednesday’s win over Oklahoma State.
• K-State has improved nearly every offensive category from 2014-15, surpassing marks for scoring, field goals, 3-point field goals, points in the paint, second-chance points, rebounds, blocks and steals. The 242 steals are the 7th-most in school history and the most since 247 in 2012-13.
• One of the youngest teams in the country, K-State has had at least 2 true freshmen start together in 28 of 32 games (14 of 18 Big 12 games), while there has been at least one freshman starter in all 32 games.
POSTGAME NOTES - KANSAS STATE 75, OKLAHOMA STATE 71
• K-State earned its first win at the Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship, snapping a 3-game losing skid.
• K-State is now 32-37 all-time at Big Eight/12 Championship dating back to 1977, including a 12-19 mark in the 19-year history of the Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship… The team is now 31-32 when the championship is held in Kansas City, including 5-7 in the Sprint Center.
• K-State is now 16-3 against unranked opponents this season.
• K-State used the same lineup for the 7th consecutive game with junior Wesley Iwundu, freshman Barry Brown, senior Justin Edwards, freshman Dean Wade and junior D.J. Johnson… Iwundu is the only player to start all 32 games this season, while he has been a starter in 51 consecutive games.
• K-State has now had at least 2 true freshmen start together in 28 of 32 games (14 of 18 Big 12 regular season games), while there has been at least one freshman starter in all 32 games… Brown and Wade have played in all 32 games… Wade’s 30 starts are the 4th-most by a freshman in school history, trailing the 33 by Michael Beasley (2007-08) and Marcus Foster (2013-14) and the 32 by Iwundu (2013-14).
• K-State is now 10-2 this season when scoring 75 or more points.
• K-State is now 7-0 when shooting 50 percent or better from the field.
• K-State is now 16-6 this season when out-rebounding its opponents, posting a 36-28 edge on OSU.
• K-State totaled at least 30 points in the paint for the 23rd time this season.
• K-State scored 16 points off of 15 OSU turnovers, marking the 17th time this season the Wildcats had tallied 15 or more points off of opponent miscues.
• K-State scored 17 second-chance points on 13 offensive rebounds… The team has now scored at least 15 second-chance points in 13 contests.
• Freshman Dean Wade led the Wildcats in scoring for the fourth time this season, while he registered double figures for the 16th time… The team is 13-3 when he scored in double figures.
• Senior Justin Edwards posted double figures for the team-leading 25th time this season, including the 81st time his college career… He also led the team in rebounding for the team-leading 10th time, while he also led with the way in assists for the 12th time this season.
• Junior Wesley Iwundu tallied double figures for the 38th time in his career, including 24th time this year… He led the team in assists for the team-leading 18th time this season.