K-State Wins 35-0 in Game Called Due to Weather




2-1 (0-0 MVC)

2-1 (0-0 Big 12)

B. Lambert (QB): 3-7, 24yds, 10TD
M. Earl (RB): 1car, 11yds 0TD
P. Johnson (WR): 1rec, 9yds, 0TD

J. Ertz (QB): 7-8, 94yds, 2TD | 3car, 85 yds
W. Dimel (RB): 7car, 19yds 2TD
B. Pringle (WR): 2rec, 30yds, 1TD

MIssouri State 0 0 -- -- 0
K-State 14 21 -- -- 35

MANHATTAN, Kan. – A delayed start to the game didn’t slow the Kansas State offense, as the Wildcats piled on 35 points before the half to dismantle Missouri State, 35-0, Saturday night at Bill Snyder Family Stadium. The game, which was delayed by 55 minutes at the start, was not resumed after another weather delay during halftime. 

Similar to last week, K-State (2-1) took little time to exert its power, scoring 14 points in the first 10 minutes of play. In the two quarters of action, K-State accumulated 270 yards of offense, with 165 coming on the ground through seven different rushers. The Wildcat defense limited Missouri State to just 54 yards and forced two fumbles on 29 snaps from scrimmage.

Junior quarterback Jesse Ertz led the offensive surge again, completing 7-of-8 passes for 94 yards and two touchdowns. Ertz also topped all K-State rushers Saturday, carrying the ball three times for 85 yards, including separate runs of 35 and 40-yards.

Alongside Ertz, the Wildcats continued with their running back by committee strategy. Senior Charles Jones ran in the game’s first touchdown as he gained 23 yards on five carries and also caught a ball for another 16 yards. Sophomore Winston Dimel, fresh off his four touchdowns last week, bouldered in for two more scores on his seven rushes for 19 yards, while fellow sophomore Justin Silmon ran it three times for 19 yards. K-State averaged 7.5 yards per rush with Alex Delton, Alex Barnes and Dalvin Warmack all contributing to the ground game, as well.

Through the air, nine different Wildcats hauled in 10 completions for 105 yards and two scores. Sophomore Byron Pringle caught his first career touchdown pass as a Wildcat, a 19-yarder, and added another grab for 30 receiving yards. Dimel claimed two balls for 19 yards, while senior Deante Burton caught one pass for 20 yards. Sophomore Dominique Heath pulled down K-State’s other touchdown reception from 9-yards out.  

On the defensive side of the ball, K-State surrendered only four first downs in holding Missouri State to 54 yards of offense. The Wildcats’ front seven suffocated the Bears’ rushing attack, allowing just 30 yards on 17 attempts – 1.8 yards per carry. The secondary didn’t budge much either as Missouri State quarterback Brodie Lambert completed just 3-of-12 passes for 24 yards.

Senior linebacker Charmeachealle Moore totaled five tackles, including one for loss, while senior safety Dante Barnett recorded four tackles, all of which were solo. The defense also snatched two turnovers – a fumble recovery by senior defensive end Jordan Willis and an interception by junior defensive tackle Matt Seiwert.

Special team duties were again limited this week, as junior Matthew McCrane booted through all five extra point attempts, but was unable to connect on the game’s lone field goal attempt from 42 yards out. The special teams highlight came through Jayd Kirby, who recorded K-State’s first blocked punt of the season midway through the second quarter.

After the 55-minute long delay, kickoff took place at 7:05 and K-State opted to receive. The Wildcats wasted no time offensively, using 11 plays to march 63 yards in 5:58 for the game’s first score. Jones ran it in from one-yard out on fourth down, capping off a drive where he rushed for 23 yards on five carries and also hauled in a 16-yard pass.

After forcing a three-and-out, K-State quickly found pay dirt again. Ertz busted loose for a 35-yard run on a draw play and followed it with a 19-yard touchdown pass to Pringle, who played Johnny-on-the-spot as the ball was tipped away from sophomore tight end Dayton Valentine. The Wildcats led 14-0 with 5:22 to play in the first quarter.

Pringle would set up another score, when he looped around Missouri State defenders on a 43-yard punt return early in the second quarter. Ertz and company set up shop from the Bears’ 21-yard line and 1:14 later, he found Heath for a 9-yard touchdown pass on a corner fade route for the 21-0 lead.

Five minutes later, the Wildcats made it 28-0. The seven play, 90-yard drive featured a 40-yard run from Ertz – the longest of his career – and was finished off by a 1-yard touchdown run from Dimel with 7:01 to play in the half.

K-State’s final score was also ignited by a special teams play, but this time a blocked punt. Kirby’s effort deep in Missouri State territory allowed for a short field opportunity. Two consecutive Dimel runs provided the score from 7-yards out to make it 35-0 before the break.

Despite some wait and continued severe weather, the game was not continued out of the halftime break. The game, with stats remaining official, was called at 35-0.

The Wildcats begin their Big 12 Conference slate on the road next week at West Virginia, with kickoff against the Mountaineers set for 2:30 p.m. CT on ESPNU.