Twiss Highlights 2nd Day of Action for Wildcats
Twiss Highlights 2nd Day of Action for Wildcats
April 18, 2014MANHATTAN, Kan. – K-State Track and Field continued its slate of away action with second days of competition in Walnut, Calif., for the Mt. SAC Relays and Lawrence, Kan., for the Kansas Relays. Headlining day two for the ‘Cats was senior Erica Twiss, who kept busy after a solid showing yesterday at the Cal State LA Twilight Open with a personal best in the 100 meter hurdles, as well as helping the 4x400 team to a first-place finish.
Twiss Continues Impressive Outdoor Campaign
Erica Twiss has been nothing short of dominant in the 100 meter hurdles this season. Prior to today, she had set a meet record, a personal best and the fourth-best conference mark in order in her first three meets of the season. She one-upped all those efforts this afternoon, placing third in the event in a time of 13.45 seconds – a new personal best, as well as tied for second best all-time in school history.
The mark bested her previous career best of 13.58 seconds, set at this season’s Jim Click Shootout, as she was one of three sprinters out of a field 63 to finish with a sub-13.50 time. She tied former Wildcat Richelle Farley for second all-time in school history, who set her personal best in 2012 at the NCAA West Regional Prelims.
Twiss has yet to finish below third in her four 100 meter hurdles competed in this season.
In the 4x400, Twiss, along with Sonia Gaskin, Jordan Matthews and Tia’ Gamble, registered the K-State women’s second-straight win in the event. The foursome smoked the field of 22 teams, clocking in at a time of 3:36.73 – nearly four seconds better than second-place finisher, Washington State.
The winning effort ranked fourth all-time in K-State history and was the fastest mark recorded by a K-State women’s relay team since the 2005 Big 12 Outdoor Championships.
Elsewhere on the Track…
• Also setting a personal in the 100m hurdles was Merryl Mbeng. The senior placed 16th in the event in a time of 14.02 seconds. The time bested her previous high of 14.19 set at the 2013 Big 12 Outdoor Championships and is the fourth-best time by a Wildcat in the event this season.
• Continuing with the hurdles, Tia’ Gamble and Angela Hart both posted strong marks the 400 meter variety of the event. Gamble, who placed 18th, continued to show improvement, registering a season-best time of 1:00.48, while Hart placed 21st in a time of 1:00.90 – less than a second off her personal best time of 1:00.14.
• In the 400 meter, Christopher Campbell competed in the event for the first time this season, placing 25th in a time of 48.05 seconds. The time was the second-best posted by a Wildcat this season. For the women, Sarah Kolmer placed 39th in the event out of a field of 73 runners.
• Sonia Gaskin finished 32nd in the 800 meter, clocking in a time of 2:10.34. Gaskin currently holds the four best times for K-State in the event this season. On the men’s side, Kyle Hanson and Logan Smith placed 39th and 54th, respectively, out of a field of 98 runners.
In the Field…
• In the high jump, Zack Riley tied for third among a field of 28 competitors. Riley cleared 2.09m/6-10.25 in his first attempt of the afternoon, but was unable to clear 2.14m/7-00.25 in his subsequent next three tries. It was a tough slate for everyone involved, as seven athletes were unable to register a mark.
For the women, Joslyn Barnes and Rachel Proteau tied for ninth, clearing 1.70m/5-07.00 both in their third and final attempts.
• Lastly at the Kansas Relays, Ivan Hartung was the lone Wildcat to compete in the field at Rock Chalk Park. The junior placed seventh in the javelin throw, registering a final mark of 61.53m/201-10.00 in his fifth attempt. The mark was a season-best for Hartung, who competed in his first meet of the outdoor season last weekend.
The Wildcats wrap up competition tomorrow, with third and final days of action at the Mt. SAC and Kansas Relays, as well as a one-day stint at the Beach Track and Field Invitational in Norwalk, Calif. For more information, visit www.k-statesports.com.
Mt. SAC Relays
Thursday – Late Results (4/17)
3000m Steeplechase (A)
17: Morgan Wedekind, 10:53.89
29: Erika Schiller, K-State, 36:14.04
25: Christopher Campbell, K-State, 48.05
39: Sarah Kolmer, K-State, 55.891
39: Kyle Hanson, K-State, 1:53.53
54: Logan Smith, K-State, 1:54.413
32: Sonia Gaskin, K-State, 2:10.34
59: Ryan Hershner, K-State, 3:52.74
63: Mary Frances Donnelly, K-State, 4:33.68
3: Erica Twiss, K-State, 13.45 (-0.2) – Personal best & T-2nd in school history
16: Merryl Mbeng, K-State, 14.02 (1.2) – Personal best
18: Tia' Gamble, K-State, 1:00.48
21: Angela Hart, K-State, 1:00.90
1: Gaskin-Twiss-Matthews-Gamble, K-State, 3:36.73 – 4th-best time in school history
T-3: Zack Riley, K-State, 2.09m/6-10.25
T-9: Rachel Proteau, K-State, 1.70m/5-07.00
T-9: Joslyn Barnes, K-State, 1.70m/5-07.00
Rock Chalk Park
23: Rhys Powell, K-State, 50.23
26: Avery Loyd, K-State, 1:06.67p
7: Ivan Hartung, K-State, 61.53m/201-10.00