No. 25 K-State Cruises to 10th Straight Win at TCU

Jan. 7, 2014

Final Stats |  Quotes  |  Video Highlights

K-State Athletics

FORT WORTH, Texas – Junior Thomas Gipson scored a game-high 19 points, as No. 25 Kansas State ran its winning streak to 10 games with a 65-47 win over TCU at Daniel-Meyer Coliseum on Tuesday night.

Gipson was joined in double figures by freshman guard Marcus Foster, who scored 16 points on 4-of-8 field goals, including a season-tying four 3-pointers.

“This was our first true away game,” said Gipson. “I feel like the freshman and the young guys were kind of anxious and I was kind of anxious too because I was playing at home and I wanted to make plays. I had a couple early turnovers. I feel like we handled this pretty well, but we have to be better at jumping off on teams early rather than later on in the game. We were kind of like that last year, but I think overall we handled it pretty good.”

The 10-game winning streak is the longest of Weber’s tenure and the longest since also winning 10 in a row from Nov. 22, 2009 to Jan. 3, 2010.

The Wildcats (12-3, 2-0 Big 12), who made their way into the Top 25 for the first time this season on Monday, played their first true road game of the season.

Amric Fields scored 14 points and Kyan Anderson added 12 for TCU (9-5, 0-2), which trailed 31-21 at halftime.

The Horned Frogs used a 10-2 run to get within 36-33 with 13:45 to play, but Kansas State responded with a 9-3 run - keyed by a wide-open 3-pointer by Shane Southwell - and the Wildcats' lead wouldn't dip below seven points for the rest of the game.

Foster, who was named the Wayman Tisdale National Freshman of the Week earlier in the day, hit two 3-pointers in a one-minute span late in the second half. The Wildcats hit 7 of 15 3-pointers overall.

TCU, which is 6-1 this season when out-rebounding its opponent, were pounded on the glass with Kansas State finishing with a 37-21 advantage. It marked the 10th consecutive game that Wildcats outrebounded their opponent and moved to 31-2 under Weber when out-rebounding their opponent, including 11-1 this season.

Powerful dunks by Gipson and Wesley Iwundu gave Kansas State a 20-10 lead with less than 6 minutes to play in the first half. TCU's next possession ended with a layup by Jarvis Ray and that ended a span of just three points in nearly 11 minutes for the Horned Frogs.

The Wildcats went ahead 31-17 with 1:12 to play on a dunk by Gipson, but Anderson's layup made it 31-21 as time expired in the first half.

K-State returns to action on Saturday with a nationally-televised game with No. 18/20 Kansas (9-4, 0-0 Big 12) in the Dillon’s Sunflower Showdown at 1 p.m. on ESPN.