K-State @ Kansas Postgame Notes
K-State @ Kansas Postgame Notes
Jan. 11, 2014
Kansas State Postgame Notes
18/20 Kansas (11-4, 2-0 Big 12) 86 - Kansas State (12-4, 2-1 Big 12) 60
Saturday, January 11, 2014
Lawrence, Kan. | Allen Fieldhouse
- K-State is now 1,542-1,081 all-time in its history.
- Head coach Bruce Weber is now 352-167 in his career and 39-12 in his second season at K-State.
- Today’s match-up marked the 278th meeting between the two schools… The loss drops the Wildcats’ record to 91-187 against the Jayhawks with Kansas winning the past eight at Allen Fieldhouse (45-76)… K-State has not defeated Kansas in Lawrence since Jan. 14, 2006 (59-55).
- Today’s loss ends the Wildcats’ 10-game winning streak… This streak was the longest winning streak under Bruce Weber and the longest since the Wildcats won 10 in a row from Nov. 22, 2009 to Jan. 3, 2010.
- The Wildcats are now 257-98 when ranked in the Associated Press Poll and 34-33 in games where both teams are ranked in the Top-25… The loss drops K-State’s all-time record to 20-10vs. the No. 18-ranked team in the nation.
- With the loss, K-State is now 97-220 all-time against ranked teams in The AP poll… The loss stopped the Wildcats’ six-game winning streak when ranked No. 25 in the country… The school is 2-1 vs. ranked teams this season.
- Today’s game was the 12th road game for the Cats under Bruce Weber… They are now 8-4 overall and 7-4 in Big 12 play… K-State has posted a 40-32 record in true road games since 2006-07, including a 32-28 mark in Big 12 road contests.
- The Wildcats’ starting lineup consisted of freshman guard Marcus Foster, senior guard Will Spradling, senior guard Shane Southwell, freshman forward Wesley Iwundu and junior forward Thomas Gipson… This is the eleventh time K-State has used this starting lineup this season and the first time all season the Wildcats have lost a game with this starting five.
- K-State scored 60 points, marking the lowest offensive output for the Cats since Nov. 24, 2013, when they scored 52 points in a 52-38 win over Long Beach State at the Puerto Rico Tip-Off… The Wildcats are 4-3 when scoring less than 70 points on the season… The team connected on 44 percent (22-of-50) from the field, including 9.1 percent (1-of-11) from 3-point range.
- The Wildcats were out-rebound by Kansas, 33-25, making it the first time in 12 games K-State has failed to win the battle on the boards... The 25 boards are the lowest total rebounds for K-State on the season and only the second time this year the team has failed to collect 30 or more boards – (29) 11/17/13 v. Long Beach State.
- The 86 points scored by Kansas is the second-largest total given up by the Wildcats on the season… In K-State’s loss to Georgetown at the Puerto Rico Tip-Off, the Wildcats gave up 90 points making it the only time this season they have lost back-to-back games
- Despite losing the battle on the boards, the Wildcats were only outscored in the paint 38-34… K-State also led both teams in bench scoring with a 24-17 advantage.
- K-State was 15-of-21 (71.4%) from the charity stripe… The Wildcats are 4-2 on the season when shooting better than 70 percent from the free throw line.
- The 17 point halftime deficit (45-28) to the Jayhawks matched the Georgetown loss for largest halftime deficit on the season… The Wildcats are now 6-9 under Bruce Weber when trailing at the half.
- Nino Williams led all K-State scorers with 12 points off the bench… The junior shot 4-of-5 from the field and was a perfect 4-of-4 from the free throw line… Williams, after going scoreless against TCU, has scored in double-figures in two of his past three games.
- Joining Williams in double figures was Thomas Gipson with 10 points on 5-of-7 shooting… the birthday big man has now scored in double figures in 10 of his last 12 games… The junior also led the team with 33 minutes played.
- Despite a tough day shooting (3-of-12 for 7 points), freshman guard Marcus Foster led the Wildcats in both rebounds and assists with 5 and 3, respectively… His single-digit scoring total halted a streak of ten games with double figures for the freshman.