Jan. 18, 2012
(25/rv) Kansas State (13-4, 2-3) 84 – Texas (12-6, 2-3) 80
Manhattan, Kan. – Bramlage Coliseum – Attendance: 12,528
• K-State is now 283-93 (.753) all-time at Bramlage Coliseum… K-State has never had a single season record below .500 in games played in the Octagon of Doom.
• K-State is now 1501-1060 (.586) all-time and 108-47 (.697) under head coach Frank Martin.
• The Wildcats are now 13-9 against the Longhorns and 4-2 under Frank Martin.
• K-State led Texas 43-42 at the half thanks to a 5-2 run after the Longhorns went on a 19-2 run to take their first lead of the game with 2:13 remaining in the half … The team is now 11-2 this season when leading at the halftime break.
• The Wildcats’ starting lineup this afternoon consisted of sophomore guard Will Spradling, freshman guard Angel Rodriguez, junior guard Rodney McGruder, senior forward Jamar Samuels and freshman forward Thomas Gipson. This is the first time K-State has used this lineup this season and Rodriguez’s first career start.
• K-State allowed Texas to shoot 52.0 percent (13-of-25) from the floor in the first half, the highest by an opponent since UTEP shot 57.1 percent on Dec. 23… The Longhorns shot 41.2 percent in the second half for a total of 45.8 (27-of-59) on the night.
• Tonight’s game was the 9th time this season the Wildcats have had 4 or more players score in double digits.
• The Wildcats are now 4-1 when scoring 80 or more points this season and 62-3 in the Frank Martin era… This is the first time this season K-State has defeated an opponent that scored 80 or more and is now 1-2 in those games.
• K-State did not make a 3-pointer in the second half shooting 0-of-3 beyond the arc… The 7-of-12 clip in the first half, however, gave the Wildcats a percentage of 46.7 (7-of-15) for the game… K-State is undefeated this season (6-0) when shooting 40 percent or better from long range.
• Rodney McGruder led the Wildcats with 33 points for a new career-high… He has now scored 30+ in two of the last three games… Tonight’s point total brings his average to 23.4 in Big 12 play to lead the conference in scoring… McGruder shot 11-of-17 from the field and hit 4-of-6 from beyond the arc… He also added 8 rebounds.
• Jamar Samuels added 14 points for the Wildcats on 5-of-10 shooting and 3-of-4 at the line… He also added 4 rebounds with three of them on the offensive end.
• Thomas Gipson played a key role in the win with 11 points and 6 rebounds… He pulled down 4 offensive rebounds and shot 4-of-7 from the field.
• Will Spradling tallied 11 points shooting 3-of-9 from the field and hit the only 3-pointer he attempted… He was 4-of-6 at the free-throw line… He added 3 assists.
• Victor Ojeleye saw extensive time off the bench with a number of Wildcats in foul trouble… He played a career-high 19 minutes and pulled down 5 rebounds to tie a career-high.