March 15, 2012
Kansas State (22-10) 70 – Southern Miss (25-9) 64
Thursday, March 15, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa. – Consol Center
• K-State is now 33-29 (.532) all-time the NCAA Tournament… K-State is 6-3 under head coach Frank Martin in the tournament.
• K-State is now 1510-1066 (.586) all-time and 117-53 (.688) under head coach Frank Martin.
• The Wildcats are now 4-3 against the Golden Eagles of Southern Miss. K-State has won the last three meetings.
• The Wildcats’ starting lineup this afternoon consisted of freshman guard Angel Rodriguez, sophomore guard Will Spradling, junior guard Rodney McGruder, senior forward Jamar Samuels and junior forward Jordan Henriquez. This is the seventh time K-State has used this lineup this season… K-State is 4-3 in those games.
• K-State is now 19-4 this season when holding the opponent to fewer than 70 points… The Wildcats are 87-14 in those games during the Frank Martin era.
• K-State had 7 blocks in the game for the third most in an NCAA Tournament game in school history.
• The Wildcats dominated the paint with 32 points in the paint. The Golden Eagles scored 18 in the paint.
• K-State shot 26-of-34 from the free-throw line (76.5 percent) … The Wildcats were 19-of-24 in the second half alone… Jordan Henriquez was 9-of-10.
• The Wildcats led 30-27 at halftime after a 7-2 run to reclaim the lead when Southern Miss went ahead 25-23 on a pair of free throws. K-State is now 19-4 when leading at the break this season and 101-15 all-time under Frank Martin.
• Rodney McGruder scored 30 points on 11-of-16 shooting and 6-of-8 at the free-throw line… It is the 8th time a Wildcat has scored 30+ in the NCAA Tournament in school history… It was his 3rd 30-point game this season… K-State is 2-1 in those games… McGruder surpassed 1,000 career points in the game, he now has 1,014 points… his 11 field goals made rank 10th in school history for a postseason game and his 4 steals rank seventh.
• Jordan Henriquez scored 15 on 3-of-6 shooting and 9-of-10 from the free-throw line… He also pulled down 9 rebounds and posted 6 blocks… His 6 blocks are the most by a Wildcat in an NCAA Tournament game… His 9 free throws made also rank eighth for an NCAA Tournament game.
• Angel Rodriguez scored 13 points on 4-of-11 shooting and 5-of-8 at the free-throw line… He also added 4 assists and 3 rebounds.