March 15, 2013
No. 11/12 K-State (27-6) 68, No. 14/13 Oklahoma State (24-8) 57
Sprint Center – Kansas City, Mo.
Big 12 Championship Semifinals
• Kansas State is now 11-16 (.407) all-time at the Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship… The Wildcats are 31-34 in the conference championship tournament dating back to the Big Eight Conference in 1977… K-State is now 10-6 in the Sprint Center overall and 4-4 during the Big 12 Championship.
• With the win K-State advances to the conference championship final for the 5th time in school history… The last time the Wildcats played for a conference championship was 2010… The Wildcats won the Big Eight Conference Championship in 1977 and 1980 while losing in 1978, 1981, 1982 and 1993.
• The Wildcats are now 74-48 all-time against Oklahoma State… K-State is 14-4 in neutral site games with the Cowboys and 2-0 at the Big 12 Championship… OSU leads the series during the Big 12 era at 14-7… Tonight marked the first time since 1996 the Wildcats and Cowboys have faced three times in a season.
• Tonight’s victory on Senior Night is the 101st in the career of Rodney McGruder, Jordan Henriquez and Martavious Irving as they are now the winningest class in K-State history and are the fourth straight senior class to tally 90 wins in their career.
• K-State’s 27 wins are the second-most in a season in school history behind only 29 won by the 2010-11 squad… The Wildcats have won 12 of their last 14 games with their only losses to ranked Kansas and Oklahoma State teams.
• The starting lineup for tonight’s contest consisted sophomore guard Angel Rodriguez, junior guard Will Spradling, senior guard Rodney McGruder, senior forward Jordan Henriquez and junior forward Shane Southwell… The Wildcats are now 10-1 when using this lineup.
• The Wildcats led 28-23 at halftime and are now 24-1 this season when leading at the half… The Wildcats shot 31.3 percent (10-of-32) in the opening frame and finished the night at 39.3 percent (22-of-56).
• K-State was able to score quickly in transition tonight with 16 fast break points… It was a new season-high for the Wildcats… Oklahoma State entered the contest allowing an average of just 5.9 points off turnovers per game.
• The Wildcats had 14 assists on 22 made baskets… That gives K-State 537 total assists on the season and is just 8 short of the school record set in 2006-07.
• K-State is now 3-5 against ranked teams this season with 2 against Oklahoma State.
• Rodney McGruder had another all-around game for K-State with 25 points on 8-of-14 shooting… K-State is now 20-4 when he scores 20+ and it is the 2nd time this season he has scored 20+ in back-to-back games… He just missed his 2nd double-double on the year with 9 rebounds… McGruder now has 1,545 career points and is just 1 point behind Cartier Martin for 7th all-time in school history.
• Angel Rodriguez scored 17 points and had 4 assists… He needs 18 assists to tie Steven Henson for the school record of 186 in a single season (1987-88).
• Jordan Henriquez played 22 minutes after being limited to only 10during Thursday’s game against Texas… He swatted 3 blocks and pulled down 11 rebounds while adding 8 points.