March 17, 2012
Kansas State (22-11) 59 – Syracuse (33-2) 75
Saturday, March 17, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa. – Consol Center
• K-State is now 33-30 (.524) all-time the NCAA Tournament… K-State is 6-4 under head coach Frank Martin in the tournament.
• K-State is now 1510-1067 (.586) all-time and 117-54 (.684) under head coach Frank Martin.
• The Wildcats are now 1-2 against the Syracuse Orange. This is the second time the two teams have met in the NCAA Tournament… The previous meeting was in the 1975 East Regional Final in Providence, Syracuse won that game 95-87 in overtime.
• The Wildcats’ starting lineup this afternoon consisted of freshman guard Angel Rodriguez, sophomore guard Will Spradling, junior guard Rodney McGruder, freshman forward Thomas Gipson and junior forward Jordan Henriquez. This is the first time K-State has used this lineup this season.
• K-State is now 7-6 this season when scoring fewer than 70 points and 1-3 when being held under 60 points… The Wildcats are 2-15 when scoring fewer than 60 in the Frank Martin era.
• The Wildcats are 3-7 this season when opponents score 70 or more points… The team is 31-40 in the Frank Martin era in those games.
• K-State had 0 points from its bench… the first time this season that has happened… It was only the 3rd time this season the Wildcats were held under 10 bench points… K-State is 1-2 in those games.
• The Wildcats had 25 offensive rebounds tying a season best and resulting in 20 second chance points… Henriquez had 10 offensive rebounds to tally more than the entire team for Syracuse (9).
• K-State shot 4-of-17 from 3-point range (23.5 percent) … The Wildcats allowed Syracuse to shoot 51.1 percent (23-of-45)… The Orange were 6-of-9 (66.7 percent) from beyond the arc for an opponent high this season… Syracuse was 5-of-5 in the second half.
• The Wildcats trailed 25-24 at halftime after a 12-2 run to cut into the Syracuse lead… The Orange shot 1-of-3 and had 4 turnovers the last 3:58 of the half… K-State is now 3-7 when trailing at the break this season and 13-35 all-time under Frank Martin.
• Jordan Henriquez scored 14 points on 7-of-17 shooting and pulled down 15 rebounds for a new career high… It also marked his third double-double of his career, K-State is 0-3 in those games.
• Rodney McGruder scored 15 points on 5-of-13 shooting and 5-of-6 at the free-throw line… McGruder now ranks 21st in school history for career scoring with 1,029 career points.
• Angel Rodriguez scored 12 points on 3-of-11 shooting and 4-of-4 at the free-throw line… He also added 4 rebounds.
• Will Spradling scored 10 points and hit 2-of-6 from long range.
• Thomas Gipson scored 8 points and pulled down 8 rebounds.