Nov. 9, 2012
Kansas State 85 (1-0) – North Dakota 52 (0-1)
Bramlage Coliseum – Manhattan, Kan.
• Kansas State is now 85-24 (.780) all-time in season openers, including a 73-8 (.901) mark at home… The Wildcats have won 10 consecutive season openers since 2003 with their last loss coming to BYU, 73-64, on Nov. 23, 2002 at the Paradise Jam… K-State has won 19 consecutive openers at home, including a 20-1 record at Bramlage Coliseum.
• Today was the first time North Dakota and K-State have met in men’s basketball… The Wildcats are now 15-4 against teams from the Big Sky Conference… This is North Dakota’s first season in the Big Sky making the transition from the Great West
• The starting lineup for tonight’s contest consisted sophomore guard Angel Rodriguez, junior guard Will Spradling, senior guard Rodney McGruder, sophomore forward Nino Williams and senior forward Jordan Henriquez… this was the first time K-State has used this lineup.
• In his debut as the head coach of the Wildcats, Bruce Weber led his team to victory… He is the 24th head coach in K-State history and now has a career record of 314-155 (.670)… He is the 17th head coach to win his debut at K-State.
• K-State led at the half 36-27 after shooting 12-of-34 (35.3 percent)… Last season the Wildcats were 19-4 when leading at the half.
• 13 different Wildcats saw action with 11 of them scoring in the game… That depth led to an impressive 45 bench points.
• 4 players scored in double digits: Thomas Gipson (13), Angel Rodriguez (13), Martavious Irving (11) and Will Spradling (10)
• In the second half K-State shot 17-of-32 (53.1 percent) and finished the contest 29-of-66 (43.9 percent).
• K-State shot 71.4 percent (20-of-28) from the free-throw line… Last season the Wildcats shot just 67.1 percent as a team.
• Martavious Irving tied his career-high making three shots from 3-point range.
• Angel Rodriguez had 13 points, shooting 5-of-11 from the field and hitting 3-of-7 from beyond the arc.
• Thomas Gipson shot 3-of-4 from the field and 7-of-10 at the free-throw line.
• D.J. Johnson led the team with 9 rebounds, 6 of those rebounds were offensive… He also had 4 blocks.