Dec. 8, 2011
• A sell-out crowd of 15,004 watched just the third collegiate game in INTRUST Bank Arena history, with K-State making its first appearance in the year-old facility.
• Thursday night’s game was just the 10th double-overtime game in K-State history, with the last double-OT contest taking place on March 25, 2010… Overall, the Wildcats are now 6-4 and 1-1 under Frank Martin in double-overtime contests .
• Tonight’s extra-period thriller included 17 ties and nine lead changes.
• K-State is now 904-335 (.729) all-time and 100-44 (.694) under head coach Frank Martin.
• Thursday’s contest was the second meeting between K-State and West Virginia, with the Wildcats defeating the Mountaineers 49-44 in the first contest on December 12, 1949… K-State is now 1-1 against WVU and 18-26 against teams from the Big East.
• The Wildcats’ starting lineup Thursday night consisted of sophomore guard Will Spradling,
junior guard Martavious Irving, junior guard Rodney McGruder, senior forward Jamar
Samuels and freshman forward Thomas Gipson… This is the fourth time K?]State has used this line-up this season.
• K-State shot just 33.3 percent (10-for-30) in the first half to continue their first-half shooting woes this season… The Wildcats’ best first-half shooting performance came against Loyola Chicago where they shot 41.7 percent.
• The Wildcats scored a season-high 44 points in the paint, topping the previous watermark of 38 against Virginia Tech on December 4, 2011.
• K-State led 31-30 at halftime after the score was tied six times and four lead changes
occurred in first half… The Wildcats are now 85-12 when leading at the half under Frank Martin.
• K-State had three players score in double-digits for the second time this season.
• The Wildcats continued to force their opponents into a poor shooting performance by holding West Virginia to 49.2% from the field… Tonight’s effort marks the sixth time in 2011 that K-State has held the opposition to below 50% shooting from the field.
• The Wildcats were out-rebounded 41-40 by the Mountaineers… K-State is now 17-20 in the Frank Martin era when being out-rebounded by its opponent.
• Rodney McGruder posted a team-high 20 points on the night, marking the sixth time in his career that he has scored 20 or more points… McGruder has led the Wildcats in scoring seven times in his career.
• Thomas Gipson scored 15 points to go along with 10 rebounds on the night, marking the second double-double of his young career…Tonight’s effort on the boards marked the second time this year that Gipson has led his team in rebounding.
• Will Spradling tallied a season-high 16 points, with 12 of those coming from behind the arc… Spradling has scored in double-figures four times this season.
• Angel Rodriguez notched career-highs in minutes played (20), free-throws attempts (5) and rebounds (4), to go along with a season-high tying 7 points.