Dec. 17, 2011
Kansas State (7-1) 71 – 23/21 Alabama (8-3) 58
Sprint Center – Kansas City, Mo. – Hy-Vee Wildcat Classic
• K-State is now 7-5 in games played in the Sprint Center… Saturday’s attendance was 16,685.
• K-State is now 1494-1097 (.577) all-time and 102-44 (.698) under head coach Frank Martin… The Wildcats also now are 17-18 against Top 25 teams under Martin… The last time K-State defeated a ranked opponent was at No. 7 Texas last season on Feb. 28.
• This was just the third meeting between the Wildcats and Crimson Tide... K-State leads the series 2-1.
• The Wildcats’ starting lineup tonight consisted of sophomore guard Will Spradling, junior guard Martavious Irving, junior guard Rodney McGruder, senior forward Jamar Samuels and freshman forward Thomas Gipson… This is the sixth time K-State has used this lineup this season… The Wildcats are 5-1 in those games.
• K-State shot just 33.3 percent (11-of-33) in the first half to continue the first-half struggles
this season… The Wildcats shot 5-of-10 in the final four minutes of the half, however… In the second half K-State shot 63.2 percent (12-of-19).
• Both teams shot 66.7 percent from the free-throw line, but K-State made 10 more free throws than Alabama attempted… The Wildcats were 22-of-33 and the Crimson Tide shot 8-of-12 at the line… K-State is 7-0 this season when taking more free throws than the opponent.
• The Wildcats overcame a seven-point deficit to take a 26-24 lead at halftime thanks to a 14-7 run over the final 6:40 of the half as the teams exchanged 6 lead changes and 5 ties.
• K-State is now 35-2 in the Frank Martin era when allowing less than 60 points to an
opponent and 3-0… K-State’s only opponent to score more than 70 this season was West Virginia in double overtime.
• Jamar Samuels scored 14 points on the night, all of them in the second half… Samuels only played 6 minutes in the first half due to foul trouble… He was 2-of-6 shooting but was clutch at the free-throw line hitting 9-of-11 at the charity stripe.
• Angel Rodriguez scored a career-high 13 points… He was 3-of-9 shooting and 6-of-7 at the free-throw line… He also added a career-high 7 assists.
• Jordan Henriquez played a role in the first half rally and posted a career-high 17 points for the night to lead the team… He also led the team with 8 rebounds… He was 7-of-9 shooting and 3-of-4 at the line for his best shooting performance.
• Martavious Irving added 9 points to K-State’s win hitting on 4-of-7 from the field.