Dec. 21, 2013
Kansas State Postgame Notes
Kansas State (8-3) 72 – #21/#15 Gonzaga (10-2) 62
Saturday, December 21, 2013
Wichita Wildcat Classic
Wichita, Kan. | INTRUST Bank Arena
• K-State is now 1,538-1,080 all-time in its history.
• Bruce Weber is now 348-167 all-time, 35-11 at K-State including 4-6 vs. Top 25 teams
• Today’s match-up marked the fourth meeting between the two schools and third in the last four seasons. With the win today, the Wildcats move to 3-1 against the Bulldogs.
• K-State moved to 14-7 vs. current members of the West Coast Conference, including an 8-2 mark at neutral sites.
• Bruce Weber is 4-2 all-time vs. Gonzaga, including 3-2 at neutral sites.
• The Wildcats’ starting lineup consisted of freshman guard Marcus Foster, senior guard Will Spradling, senior guard Shane Southwell, freshman forward Wesley Iwundu and junior forward Thomas Gipson… This is the sixth time K-State has used this starting lineup this season with the Wildcats winning all six match-ups.
• Foster and Spradling have started all 11 games, while Iwundu and Southwell have now started 10 in a row… Foster and Iwundu have started together each of the last 10 games.
• Under Bruce Weber, K-State moves to 11-1 in games played in December and 8-1 in games televised on ESPN2.
• K-State shot 76.0 percent (19-of-25) from the free throw line, the highest percentage of the season… K-State is now 16-5 when shooting better than 70 percent from the free throw line under head coach Bruce Weber.
• K-State has now held nine of 11 opponents below 65 points this season, going 8-1 in those games…The 62 points scored by Gonzaga was a season-low.
• K-State out-rebounded Gonzaga, 32-31, marking the seventh consecutive game the Wildcats have out-rebounded their opponent…The team is now 27-2 under head coach Bruce Weber when out-rebounding their opponent, including a mark of 6-1 this season.
• K-State forced Gonzaga into a season-tying 12 turnovers, which K-State turned into 13 points… The Wildcats committed just four turnovers, which is tied for the third-lowest all-time and hasn’t happened since Nov. 18, 2010 vs. Presbyterian.
• K-State led at the half, 29-24 and improves to 31-2 under Weber when leading at the half.
• Marcus Foster scored in double figures with a game-high 14 points… He has now scored in double figures in 10 consecutive games.
• Wesley Iwundu struggled from the field (2-of-7) but provided a spark at the free throw line, hitting 9-of-11… He tied a season-high three assists and grabbed four rebounds.
• Thomas Gipson provided the efficiency down-low with 14 points on 6-of-8 shooting… He also managed to pull down four rebounds and blocked one shot in 21 minutes of action.
• Shane Southwell filled the stat sheet with 11 points, six assists, two steals and one rebound.