Dec. 21, 2010
11/11 Kansas State (9-3) 59 – rv/rv UNLV (11-2) 63
Sprint Center – Kansas City, Mo.
Tuesday, December 21, 2010
• Today’s Hy-Vee Wildcat Classic marks the fourth consecutive season the Wildcats have hosted a regular-season game at the Sprint Center… it was the third game this season in the arena for K-State, playing two contests in the O’Reilly Auto Parts CBE Classic … The Wildcats are now 6-4 at the Sprint Center, including 4-2 during the regular season.
• Tuesday’s contest was the eighth time K-State has faced UNLV… The Wildcats are now 3-5 against the Runnin’ Rebels.
• The starting lineup for tonight’s contest consisted of sophomore guard Nick Russell, sophomore guard Rodney McGruder, freshman guard Will Spradling, junior forward Freddy Asprilla and sophomore forward Jordan Henriquez-Roberts… This is the first time this season this starting lineup has been used.
• The Wildcats again saw major contributions from the bench with 23 points… K-State fell just short of its season average 29.6 points per game from the non-starters.
• K-State scored 9 points off turnovers tonight… The Wildcats came into the contest averaging 19 points per game off turnovers in the Frank Martin era.
• The Wildcats out-rebounded the Runnin’ Rebels 43-26… tonight marks just the 17th time K-State has lost under Frank Martin when pulling down more rebounds than its opponent for a record of 66-17.
• K-State trailed 28-19 with 6:18 remaining in the first half before going on a 15-4 run to take a 34-32 lead at halftime… UNLV only scored on free throws shooting 0-for-9 in that span.
• Nick Russell hit a buzzer-beater near half court to send the Wildcats into the locker room at the break… the shot put K-State up 34-32 for the lead at halftime… Russell finished the night with 12 points to lead the team.
• Jamar Samuels (11), Rodney McGruder (11) and Martavious Irving (10) joined Russell scoring in double figures.
• McGruder posted his first career double-double with 10 rebounds to go with his 11 points.