Dec. 29, 2012
25/rv Kansas State 52 (10-2) – Kansas City [UMKC] 44 (4-9)
Bramlage Coliseum – Manhattan, Kan.
Saturday, December 29, 2012
• K-State is now 16-1 including 10-0 at home all-time against Kansas City. The school also improved to 36-1 against Summit League teams, including 31-0 in home games.
• The Wildcats have now won at least 10 non-conference games for seven consecutive seasons dating back to the 2006-07 season.
• The starting lineup for tonight’s contest consisted sophomore forward Nino Williams, junior guard Will Spradling, senior guard Rodney McGruder, sophomore forward Thomas Gipson and junior forward Shane Southwell… This was the first time time K-State has used this lineup.
• Rodney McGruder has now seen action in 88 consecutive games dating back to his sophomore season, including 79 straight starts… His 88 consecutive games played rank 10th in school history, while 79 consecutive starts are eclipsed by just three others.
• Will Spradling has now seen action in 45 consecutive games and in all 79 career games.
• Attendance on Saturday was announced as 12,528.
• The 96 combined points tied for the lowest by Kansas State and its opponent in the Big 12 era… K-State and Iowa State combined for 96 in a Wildcat win (50-46) at Hilton Coliseum in Ames, Iowa on Feb. 21, 2009… It was just four shy of the lowest combined points in K-State’s shot clock era, which came vs. Nebraska (92) in the 1987 and 1993 Big Eight Tournament in Kansas City.
• K-State’s defense forced 19 turnovers and held Kansas City to 33.3 percent (16-of-48) shooting from the floor. The squad scored 16 points off of those 19 turnovers.
• The Wildcats held a 25-21 lead at the half after holding Kansas City to 34.8 percent (8-of-23) shooting in the opening frame.
• K-State distributed the ball well on offense again on Saturday with 12 assists on 17 field goals.
• The Wildcats out-rebounded the ‘Roos, 40-36, on the night… K-State is 10-0 when out-rebounding their opponents this season.
• Rodney McGruder tallied 17 points to go with 4 steals and 5 rebounds… He has now led the team in scoring for a team-tying fifth time and 27th time in his career.
• Nino Williams came close to a double-double, scoring 8 points and pulling down a team and career-high 13 rebounds… His previous career high of 9 boards was done three times.
• Thomas Gipson was a force in the paint for the Wildcats, scoring 13 points including 5-8 from the free-throw line… Gipson also added 6 rebounds.