Wildcats Hook No. 22 Texas in Austin, 73-72

AUSTIN, Texas Cartier Martin scored 20 of his 27 points in the second half, including Kansas State's last five points, to lead the Wildcats past No. 22 Texas, 73-72, Saturday afternoon before a sold-out crowd at the Erwin Special Events Center.

Lance Harris added 19 points and David Hoskins netted nine of his 13 after the break to go along with a game-high nine rebounds for Kansas State (17-6, 6-2 Big 12), which pulled off its first win over a ranked opponent on the road since 1996 and won at Texas for the first time since 1983.

The victory, which moved K-State into second place in the Big 12 standings, extended the Wildcats’ winning streak to seven games. It also marked the first time K-State has won six in a row in conference play since 1987-88 and was the program’s third straight league road win, a feat not accomplished since the 1987-88 campaign.

A 3-pointer by Martin with 41 seconds left, one of his career-high seven on the day, gave the Wildcats a 71-68 lead. His two free throws with 13 seconds left made it 73-70.

Texas tried to set up for a 3-pointer to tie but Justin Mason's shot was way off the mark and the putback by Damion James at the horn left the Longhorns one point short.

Kevin Durant had 32 points and nine rebounds for Texas (16-6, 6-2), but didn't touch the ball on the final possession as the Longhorns’ 22-game home court winning streak ended.

Mason added 12 points and was the only other Longhorn to finish in double figures as K-State clamped down on the rest of the team, including guard A.J. Abrams, one of the league's best 3-point shooters, who was just 2-of-16 from the field.

The Wildcats, meanwhile, were burning things up from beyond the arc. In addition to Martin’s 7-for-11 effort from 3-point range, Harris knocked down five triples and Stewart drilled a pair as K-State shot a blistering 52 percent from long range and connected its most 3-pointers (14) since canning 15 vs. Nebraska in 2000.

Durant's layup with 27 seconds left pulled Texas within one. But the Longhorns had been whistled for just four fouls to that point and had to watch valuable seconds tick off trying to get the Wildcats to the free throw line.

When they finally did, Martin calmly sunk both of his shots.

Durant had 11 points and only one rebound in the first half. He looked passive early as the Wildcats did a good job denying his teammates chances to pass him the ball. Akeem Wright, the Wildcats' best defender, dogged Durant when he got it, giving him little room to take passes or move when he had the ball.

Kansas State and Texas ran neck-a-neck through the first eight minutes of the game before Durant reeled off seven points during an 11-2 run and the Longhorns had a 25-16 edge with just over six minutes remaining in the half.

But Martin and Harris helped the Cats claw their way back into the game. Martin hit a pair of jumpers, including a 3-pointer, and Harris, who had 16 first-half points, ripped four straight treys, the last coming with 48 seconds remaining to cut it to 35-33.

A 3-pointer by Mason beat the halftime buzzer and Texas took a 38-33 lead into the break.

The Wildcats trailed by as many as eight early in the second half when Martin hit three straight 3-pointers to put K-State up 49-48 with 12 minutes to go.

Five ties and three lead changes followed until Martin’s triple with 41 seconds to go put the Wildcats on top for good.

Kansas State, which is off to its best start through 23 games since also starting 17-6 in 1981-82, returns to action on Wednesday, Feb. 7, at Kansas. The game is set for an 8 p.m. tip and will be televised throughout the Big 12 region on ESPN+Plus.