K-State Plays TCU in Big 12 Championship
K-State Plays TCU in Big 12 Championship
Game Notes in PDF Format
KANSAS STATE (15-16, 8-10 Big 12)
vs. TCU (17-14, 4-14 Big 12)
Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship >> First Round
Wednesday, March 11, 2015 >> Sprint Center (18,972) >> 6 p.m. CT
Dave Flemming (play-by-play)
Miles Simon (analyst)
WatchESPN app - http://es.pn/1F10jgX
K-State Sports Network
Wyatt Thompson (play-by-play)
Stan Weber (analyst)
Satellite: Sirius 137/XM 199
Stats - http://bit.ly/1yqDy3x
Audio - http://bit.ly/15rNnVB
$205, $340, $360
Kansas State: Bruce Weber (Wis.-Milwaukee '78)
Overall: 375-192 (17th year)
at K-State: 62-37 (3rd year)
vs. TCU: 5-1
TCU: Trent Johnson (Boise State '83)
Overall: 263-242 (16th year)
At TCU: 37-57 (3rd year)
vs. K-State: 1-5
PROJECTED STARTING LINEUP
Kansas State (15-16, 8-10 Big 12)
G - #25 Nigel Johnson (5.2 ppg., 1.7 apg.)
G - #2 Marcus Foster (12.9 ppg., 2.2 rpg.)
G - #25 Wesley Iwundu (5.6 ppg., 3.4 rpg.)
F - #11 Nino Williams (11.3 ppg., 5.2 rpg.)
F - #42 Thomas Gipson (11.1 ppg., 5.2 rpg.)
TCU (17-14, 4-14 Big 12)
G - #5 Kyan Anderson (13.6 ppg., 4.3 apg.)
G - #32 Trey Zeigler (9.6 ppg., 4.2 rpg.)
F - #4 Amric Fields (7.8 ppg., 3.6 rpg.)
F - #33 Chris Washburn (6.7 ppg., 5.6 rpg.)
F - #34 Kenrich Williams (8.8 ppg., 6.8 rpg.)
INSIDE THE SERIES
Overall: K-State leads 8-3 (5-1 in Big 12 era)
In Manhattan: K-State leads 5-1 (W, 58-53, 1/7/2015)
In Fort Worth: K-State leads 3-1 (L, 55-69, 2/18/2015)
Last Meeting: TCU, 69-55, 2/18/2015 (Fort Worth, Texas)
Weber vs. TCU: 5-1 (0-0 at neutral sites)
Johnson vs. K-State: 1-5 (0-0 at neutral sites)
Weber vs. Johnson: Weber leads 5-1 (0-0 at neutral sites)
LAST GAME SUMMARY
Texas 62, Kansas State 49
Game 31 * Erwin Center * March 7, 2015
• Texas used a stellar defensive effort, including an opponent school record-high 14 blocked shots, to post a 62-49 win over K-State on Saturday before 12,053 at the Frank Erwin Center. The 14 blocked shots by the Longhorns surpassed the previous opponent high of 12 set four times, lastly by George Washington on Dec. 8, 2012. Senior Jonathan Holmes accounted for 4 blocks to go with 10 points, while juniors Cameron Ridley and Prince Ibeh added 3 each. Texas held K-State to 36.4 percent shooting (20-of-55) from the field, including 33.3 percent (9-of-27) in the second half. The Wildcats also managed to shoot just 20 percent (2-of-10) from beyond the arc. Senior Thomas Gipson and sophomore Marcus Foster led the Wildcats with 15 points each, while Gipson grabbed a game-high 11 rebounds to post his ninth career double-double and his first of the season.
GAME 32 - QUICK HITTERS
• Kansas State (15-16, 8-10 Big 12) opens play in the Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship on Wednesday, as the Wildcats play TCU (17-14, 4-14 Big 12) in the tournament's first game at 6 p.m. CT at the Sprint Center. The game will air on ESPNU with Dave Flemming (play-by-play) and Miles Simon (analyst) on the call. It is also available on the WatchESPN app.
• K-State finished in a 3-way tie for 6th place in the Big 12's regular season standings, but due to tiebreakers, dropped to the No. 8 seed. The Wildcats will play on the tournament's opening day for the first time since 2006, snapping a streak of 8 consecutive seasons with a bye to the quarterfinals.
• K-State enters the championship with a losing record for the first time since 2003, which is the last time the program recorded a losing season (13-17). The Wildcats finished with a sub .500 Big 12 record for the first time since 2006. Prior to this season, the team had posted 8 straight 20-win seasons and double-digit Big 12 wins 7 times in the last 8 seasons.
• K-State is 31-36 (.463) all-time at the Big 8/12 Championship dating back to 1977, including an 11-18 (.379) mark in the 18-year history of the Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship. The Wildcats have won 2 titles (1977, 1980), while they have advanced to the finals on 5 other occasions.
• K-State is 30-31 (.492) all-time when the championship is held in Kansas City, including 4-6 (.400) in the Sprint Center (2008, 2010-14).
• This will mark the 5th time that K-State been the No. 8 seed at the Big 12 Championship (1986, 1991, 1995, 1998) with a 1-4 mark in previous appearances. The last time the Wildcats were an 8-seed they defeated No. 9 seed Colorado, 75-61, before losing to top-seed Kansas, 68-61.
• K-State is 11-9 all-time in the Sprint Center, including 1-0 this season. The Wildcats knocked off Texas A&M, 71-64, on Dec. 20, 2014.
• This will be K-State's first meeting with TCU at the championship, as the teams split their 2 regular season match-ups with the Wildcats winning 58-53 at home on Jan. 7 and the Frogs winning 69-55 at home on Feb. 18.
• Overall, K-State is 8-3 all-time vs. TCU, including 5-1 in the Big 12 era. This is just the second meeting on a neutral court and the first in Kansas City. The Horned Frogs have won both postseason meetings in the series, including 77-72 in the 1968 NCAA Tournament and 72-71 in the 1999 NIT.
• 21 of K-State's 31 games have been decided by 10 points or less this season, including 12 by 5 points or less. The Wildcats are 12-9 in games decided by 10 points or less and 6-6 in those decided by 5 points or less.
AT PHILLIPS 66 BIG 12 CHAMPIONSHIP
• K-State is 31-36 all-time in the Big Eight/12 Championship dating back to its inception in 1977, including an 11-18 mark in the 18-year history of the Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship... The Wildcats have won 2 championships (1977, 1980), while they have advanced to the finals on 5 other occasions (1978, 1981, 1993, 2010 and 2013), including twice in the Big 12 era.
• This will marked the 5th time that K-State has been the No. 8 seed at the championship (1986, 1991, 1995, 1998), including the 2nd time in the Big 12 era, with a 1-4 mark in those previous 4 appearances... The last time that squad was an 8-seed they defeated No. 9 seed Colorado, 75-61, in the first round before falling, 68-61, to top-seed Kansas in the quarterfinals.
• K-State is 1-0 all-time (1-0 in the Big 12 era) vs. No. 9 seed at the league championship with the last appearance coming in 1998... This will be the Wildcats' first meeting with TCU in the conference championship.
• Overall, K-State is 30-31 all-time when the championship is held in Kansas City, including 4-6 in the Sprint Center (2008, 2010-14)... The Wildcats are 11-9 all-time in the Sprint Center, including a 71-64 win over Texas A&M on Dec. 20, 2014.
THE OPPONENT: TCU (17-14, 4-14 Big 12)
• TCU enters Wednesday's game with a 17-14 record after ending Big 12 play on a 3-game losing streak that included an 89-76 loss to No. 17/17 Iowa State at home... The team finished 13-6 at home, 2-8 on the road and 2-0 in neutral sites.
• The Horned Frogs are averaging 68.5 points on 43.7 percent shooting, including 32.7 percent from 3-point range, on the season with 37.2 rebounds, 13.3 assists, 6.1 steals and 5.4 blocks per game... They are allowing opponents 62.2 points per game on 39.8 percent shooting, including 34.4 percent from beyond the arc... The team is shooting 61.5 percent from the free throw line.
• TCU ranks among the nation's Top 20 in three categories, including 3rd in free throws attempted (797), 14th in offensive rebounds (13.6) and 15th in blocked shots (5.4), while the squad is 47th in rebounding and field goal percentage defense.
• TCU ranks 2nd in the Big 12 in blocked shots, 3rd in scoring defense and assist-to-turnover ratio and offensive rebounds.
• TCU is one of the more balanced scoring teams in the Big 12, as six players are averaging better than 6 points per game led by All-Big 12 honorable mention Kyan Anderson, who is averaging 13.6 points on 39.9 percent shooting... He is also averaging team-bests in field goals (126), 3-point field goals (53), free throws (117), assists (132), steals (40) and minutes (32.0)... Fellow senior Trey Zeigler is 2nd in scoring at 9.6 points per game to go with 4.2 rebounds and 2.1 assists per outing... Sophomore transfer Kenrich Williams is tops in rebounding at 6.8 per game, while averaging 8.8 points per game... Senior Amric Fields is averaging 7.8 points on a team-best 48.5 percent shooting... Sophomore Chris Washburn is tops in blocks (42).
• Zeigler's father, Ernie, was an assistant coach at K-State from 1999-2000 under former head coach Tom Asbury.
• TCU is led by third-year head coach Trent Johnson, who has a 37-57 record in his tenure... He has a 263-242 record in his 16th season as a head coach, which includes stints at Nevada (1999-2004), Stanford (2004-08) and LSU (2008-12)... He guided each of those schools to the NCAA Tournament, including trips to the Sweet 16 in 2003-04 (Nevada) and 2007-08 (Stanford).
BREAKING DOWN THE SERIES
• This will be the 12th meeting in the series with K-State leading, 8-3, since the first game on Dec. 11, 1947... The Wildcats are 0-1 against the Horned Frogs on a neutral site, losing 77-72 in the NCAA Tournament on March 15, 1968 in Wichita, Kan.
• K-State is 5-1 vs. TCU in the Big 12 era, including season sweeps in 2013 and 2014 and a split in 2015.
• K-State won the 1st meeting this season - 58-53 - on Jan. 7 in Manhattan before losing 69-55 on Feb. 18 in Fort Worth.
• Prior to the loss on Feb. 18, K-State had won 5 straight in the series since a 72-71 loss at home in the NIT on March 10, 1999.
• 2 of the 3 losses to TCU have come in the postseason, including the 1968 NCAA Tournament and 1999 NIT.
• Sophomore Marcus Foster averaged a team-best 14 points on 35.3 percent shooting in 2 meetings with TCU this season, while freshman Tre Harris scored 14 points in the last meeting on Feb. 18... Senior Nino Williams nearly averaged a double-double with 11 points on 42.1 percent shooting with 9.5 rebounds per game.
• Foster is averaging 14.3 points on 34.1 percent shooting with 2.5 assists in 4 career games vs. TCU, while Gipson is averaging 11.5 points on 61.9 percent shooting with 5.7 rebounds in 5 career games vs. the Horned Frogs.
LAST MEETING: TCU 69, K-STATE 55
• A complete effort on both ends of the court helped TCU post a 69-55 win over K-State on Feb. 18.
• The Horned Frogs connected on 53.5 percent (23-of-43) from the field, including 63.6 percent (14-of-22) in the first half, while 4 players scored in double figures led by Chris Washburn's game-high 17 points... On the defensive end, the squad held the Wildcats to just 34.5 percent (19-of-55), including 16 percent (4-of-25) in the first half.
• Nino Williams led K-State with his third career double-double with 14 points and 10 rebounds, while Tre Harris scored 14.
TEAM OFFENSIVE NOTES
• Kansas State is averaging 62.9 points on 43.5 percent shooting (667-of-1535), including 33.7 percent (140-of-415) from 3-point range, to go with 13.1 assists per game... The team has an assist on 60.9 percent (2nd in the Big 12) of their field goals.
• The 62.9 points per game average is on pace to be the lowest since averaging 57.4 points during the 1982-83 season.
• K-State is averaging the fewest field goals attempted (49.5) in the Big 12, while is 2nd in fewest field goals made (21.5).
• The 49.5 field goals attempted per game is on pace to be the lowest somce averaging 49.3 per game in 1982-83.
• K-State ranks in the Top 75 nationally in free throw attempts (708/51st) and free throw makes (477/75th).
• K-State has connected on 50 percent or better from the field in 9 games and shot better than 50 percent from 3-point range on 4 occasions... The Wildcats are 8-1 this season when shooting 50 percent or better and 20-5 under Bruce Weber.
• K-State is 11-3 when shooting 45 percent or better from the field, including wins vs. No. 8/9 Kansas and No. 12/13 Iowa State.
• On the other hand, K-State has been held below 40 percent shooting from the field in 15 games, including in 8 of the last 11 games... The Wildcats are 4-11 this season when hitting on below 40 percent this season.
• To understand the contrasts, K-State lost at 21/20 West Virginia despite shooting 56.8 percent (25-of-44) from the field, including 50 percent or better in both halves, while it defeated 17/17 Oklahoma despite shooting 26.5 percent (13-of-49)... The 26.5 field goal percentage was the 10th-lowest in school history and the lowest-ever in a victory.
• The 49-point effort at Texas marked the 16th time that the Wildcats have scored 60 points or less, including the 13th time in the last 20 games... The 16 games are the most in the shot clock era (1985) and the most since registering 18 in 1982-83.
• K-State is 10-5 when 3+ players score in double figures, including 8-1 at home... The Wildcats are averaging 72.3 points in these 15 games on 49.5 percent shooting, including 39 percent from 3-point range... 3 players (Nino Williams/15.1 ppg., Marcus Foster/13.5 ppg., Thomas Gipson/10.9 ppg.) are averaging in double figures, while 5 others (Justin Edwards/8.5 ppg., Nigel Johnson/7.4 ppg., Tre Harris/5.8 ppg.,Wesley Iwundu/5.6 ppg., and Stephen Hurt/5.4 ppg.) are averaging 5+ points.
INDIVIDUAL OFFENSIVE NOTES
• K-State has 3 players averaging in double figures (Marcus Foster, Nino Williams and Thomas Gipson), while 9 players have had at least one double-digit scoring game this season... 6 players scored in double figures in the opener vs. Southern Utah (11/14/14), which was the most since 6 also scored in twin figures against North Carolina Central (2/17/09).
• All 3 rank in the Big 12's Top 20 in scoring at 9th (Foster/12.9 ppg.), 15th (Williams/11.3 ppg.) and 18th (Gipson/11.1 ppg.).
• All 3 rank in the Big 12's Top 15 in free throw percentage at 5th (Williams/82.4), 10th (Gipson/75.9) and 14th (Foster/70.3).
• The trio have combined to lead the Wildcats in scoring in 27 of 31 games with 53 combined double-digit scoring games... They have also combined to score 1,023 of the 1,951 points (52.4 percent) this season while shooting 46.3 percent (343-of-741).
• All 3 players were selected to the Coaches' All-Big 12 Honorable Mention team, while Williams was also named to the AP team.
• Foster leads the Wildcats in 7 categories, including scoring (12.9 ppg.), field goals (116), field goals attempted (294), 3-point field goals (59), 3-point field goals attempted (169), double-digit scoring games (20) and 20-point games (4).
• Foster also ranks in Big 12's Top 15 in 3-point field goals per game (2.1/4th) and 3-point field goal percentage (34.9/11th).
• Gipson leads in FG percentage (54.6), FT made (120), FT attempted (158), offensive rebounds (56), defensive rebounds (105) and total rebounds (161)... He has scored in double figures in 17 of 31 games, including 10 times in Big 12 play.
• Williams also has 4 20-point games this season, while he is tied with Gipson in rebounding average (5.2 rpg.).
• Williams ranks 4th in the Big 12 in overall field goal percentage (47.5) and 10th in Big 12-only field goal percentage (43.9).
• Williams has scored in double figures in 16 of 28 games, including 8 times in Big 12 play.
• Justin Edwards has scored in double digits 7 times (5 in Big 12 play), including a season-high 16 vs. 12/13 Iowa State.
• Nigel Johnson recorded his first career 20-point game vs. No. 8/9 Kansas... He has scored in double figures in 6 games.
• Wesley Iwundu has scored in double figures in 5 times this season, including a season-high 12 vs. 17/17 West Virginia.
• Jevon Thomas ranks in the Big 12's Top 15 in both assists (3.3/11th) and assist-to-turnover ratio (1.4/10th).
SECOND HALF SIZZLE
• K-State is averaging 34.6 points in the 2nd half this season on 47.7 percent shooting (360-of-755), including 38.4 percent (81-of-211) from 3-point range... The Wildcats are out-scoring their opponents, 1073-1041, in the 2nd half.
• K-State has connected on better than 50 percent from the field in the 2nd half of 16 games, including 60 percent or better on 6 occasions... The team is averaging 38.2 points on 52.6 percent shooting in the 2nd half of its 15 wins this season.
• K-State has connected on a higher percentage in the 2nd half in 22 of 31 games played, including 13 of 15 wins.
• K-State connected on 75 percent (12-of-16) of its field goals in the 2nd half in the win over Oklahoma State (1/24/15), which marked the 20th time in school history that a Wildcat team has connected on 70 percent or better from the field... It marked the highest field goal percentage in a 2nd half since shooting 76.9 percent (20-of-26) vs. Coastal Carolina on Dec. 6, 1997.
• 5 players are averaging 3.0+ points in the 2nd half led by Marcus Foster (7.1 ppg./45.1%), Thomas Gipson (6.5 ppg./ 56.7%), Nino Williams (5.5 ppg./47.7%), Justin Edwards (3.8 ppg./46.7%) and Wesley Iwundu (3.1 ppg./41.7%).
• In comparison, K-State is averaging 28.0 points in the 1st half this season on 39.1 percent shooting (303-of-774), including 28.7 percent (58-of-202) from beyond the arc... Opponents are out-scoring the Wildcats, 926-867, in the opening half.
• Nino Williams leads all 1st half scorers at 5.8 points per game on 47.3 percent shooting.
• K-State has taken advantage of its opportunities at the free throw line, as the Wildcats rank 75th in free throws made (477) and 51st in free throw attempts (708)... The team is averaging 22.8 attempts (5th in Big 12) and 15.4 makes (4th in Big 12).
• K-State ranks 6th in the Big 12 in free throw percentage (67.4) and 5th in Big 12-only games (68.7).
• K-State is 12-5 this season when it has more free throw attempts than its opponent and 34-10 under Bruce Weber.
• K-State has posted 20 or more free throws made in 8 games, including 5 in Big 12 play, while it has tallied 30 or more attempts in 6 contests (3 in Big 12)... The 28 free throws and 36 attempts vs. Oklahoma (2/14/15) were both Big 12 highs... The team set Bruce Weber era highs for free throws (34) and attempts (48) vs. Southern Utah (11/14/14), which were the most since 2010.
• 3 Wildcats rank in the Big 12's Top 15 in free throw percentage, including Nino Williams (82.4/5th), Thomas Gipson (75.9/10th) and Marcus Foster (70.3/14th)... Gipson ranks 3rd in both makes (120) and attempts (158) in the Big 12.
• K-State is averaging 70.3 points in its 15 wins on 48.8 percent shooting (356-of-730), including 38.8 percent (78-of-201) from 3-point range, while allowing opponents 61.3 points on 42 percent shooting, including 31.9 percent from beyond the arc.
• In contrast, K-State is averaging 56.1 points in its 16 losses on 38.6 percent shooting (311-of-805), including 29 percent (62-of-214) from 3-point range, while allowing 66 points on 46.5 percent shooting, including 34.8 percent from beyond the arc.
• 3 Wildcats are averaging in double figures in the 15 wins, including Marcus Foster (13.8 ppg./45.3 FG%), Nino Williams (13.2 ppg./49.6 FG%) and Thomas Gipson (10.3 ppg./60.0 FG%), while 4 others (Justin Edwards/8.3 ppg., Nigel Johnson/6.7 ppg., Wesley Iwundu/6.6 ppg. and Stephen Hurt/6.1 ppg.) are averaging 5 or more points.
• 2 Wildcats are averaging in double figures in the 16 losses (Foster - 11.9 ppg. and Gipson - 11.9 ppg.).
• K-State is averaging 15.4 assists during its 15 wins compared to just 10.9 assists in its 16 losses.
• Edwards, Hurt and Iwundu combine to average 19.4 points on 49.8 percent shooting in wins, but 12.3 points on 33.8 percent shooting in losses... Edwards averages 8.3 points on 46.8 percent shooting in wins and 4.7 points on 32.6 percent in losses.
• K-State has put up some impressive defensive numbers under head coach Bruce Weber, leading the Big 12 in scoring defense in 2 of the last 3 seasons (60.4 ppg. in 2012-13 and 65.4 ppg. in 2013-14).
• K-State is allowing 63.7 points (6th in Big 12) on 44.3 percent shooting, including 33.3 percent from 3-point range.
• In Big 12-only games, K-State ranked 1st in scoring defense (63.5) and 3rd in 3-point field goal percentage defense (32.3).
• 39 opponents have been held to 60 points or less in Weber's 3 seasons as head coach with the Wildcats boasting a 34-5 mark in those contests (losses to Kansas in 2012, Northern Colorado & Kentucky in 2013 and Texas Southern and Georgia in 2014).
• 19 Big 12 opponents have been held to 60 points or less (17 in regular-season Big 12 play) with the Wildcats posting an 18-1 record in those match-ups, including a 16-1 mark in Big 12 play (only loss to Kansas in 2012).
• K-State saw its 11-game streak of holding opponents to 65 points or less come to an end at No. 9/12 Iowa State (1/20/15)... It was the longest such streak in school history since the team did it 17 straight games from Nov. 27, 1982 to Jan. 29, 1983.
• K-State has scored 20 or more points off of turnovers in 5 games, including 21 in the win over No. 12/13 Iowa State.
FOSTER PACES ACROSS THE BOARD
• Sophomore Marcus Foster leads the way in scoring at 12.9 points per game on 39.5 percent shooting (116-of-294), including 34.9 percent (59-of-169) from 3-point range... He has scored in double figures in a team-best 20 games, including 20-point games vs. Purdue (24), No. 3/4 Arizona (23), Tennessee (23) and TCU (23)... He has led in scoring 10 times.
• Foster leads the Wildcats in 7 categories, including scoring, double-digit scoring games (20), 20-point games (4), field goals (116), field goals attempted (294), 3-point field goals (59) and 3-point field goals attempted (169).
• Foster has scored in double figures in 47 of his 61 career games, including 12 20-point outings... He led in scoring 28 times.
• Foster now has 138 3-pointers his K-State career, which ranks 10th on the school's all-time list.
• Foster earned his second career Big 12 postseason award, as he was selected to Coaches' All-Big 12 honorable mention team.
• Foster came back from his suspension, hitting the game-winner 3-pointer with 4.3 seconds to send K-State to a 59-56 win over No. 17/17 Oklahoma (2/14/15) to finish with 14 points... It marked the 2nd time this season he has beaten the Sooners on a last-second shot after hitting the game-winning 3-pointer with 4.1 seconds in overtime of a 66-63 victory on Jan. 10.
• Foster earned ESPN.com and Lute Olson National Player of the Week as well as Phillips 66 Big 12 Player of the Week honors on Jan. 12 after helping K-State to wins over TCU and No. 16/18 Oklahoma on Jan. 12... It was his 1st career Big 12 Player of the Week honor after winning Rookie of the Week twice last season... He is the 2nd Wildcat to win the honor this season.
WILLIAMS MAKING THE MOST OF SENIOR YEAR
• Senior Nino Williams is making the most of his senior campaign, as he leads the team in rebounding (5.2 rpg.) and is 2nd in scoring (11.3 ppg.) on 47.5 percent shooting to go with a team-best 82.4 percent clip from the free throw line.
• Williams was named All-Big 12 Honorable Mention by both the league coaches and AP -- his first career postseason awards.
• Williams has scored in double figures in 16 of 28 games, including 8 in the Big 12... He also has 4 20-point games this season.
• Williams has led the Wildcats in both scoring and rebounding in 7 games, including 3 in a row vs. Baylor, Iowa State and OSU.
• Williams averaged 10.9 points in Big 12 play on 43.9 percent shooting to go with an 88.7 free throw percentage (47-of-53).
• Williams earned his 3rd career double-double at TCU (2/18/15) with a team-high 14 points and 10 rebounds.
• Williams tied a career-high with 22 points at West Virginia (2/11/15) on 7-of-11 field goals and 8-of-10 free throws... He now has 5 career 20-point games, including 4 this season (20 vs. Savannah State, 22 at Iowa State, 20 vs. Oklahoma State).
• Williams earned Phillips 66 co-Big 12 Player of the Week honors for the 2nd time on Jan. 26 after posting back-to-back 20-point games in helping K-State to a split of games with No. 9/12 Iowa State (1/20/15) and Oklahoma State (1/24/15)... He was awarded the honor for the 1st time in his career on Dec. 15 after averaging 17 points on 56.3 percent shooting (9-of-16) to go with 9.5 rebounds in 32.5 minutes per game in wins vs. Bradley (12/9/14) and Savannah State (12/14/14)... He is just the 7th Wildcat in school history to earn the award at least twice in one season and the first since Rodney McGruder in 2013.
• Williams averaged 21.0 points on 69.2 percent shooting (18-of-26) vs. Iowa State and Baylor with 7.5 rebounds, 2.0 assists and 1.5 steals in 31.5 minutes per game... He scored a career-best 22 points vs. the Cyclones on 8-of-13 field goals with a team-high 8 rebounds, 4 assists and 3 steals, while he had 20 points vs. the Cowboys on 10-of-13 field goals with 7 rebounds.
GIPSON A STEADY LEADER
• Thomas Gipson has displayed that all important senior leadership, ranking 3rd in scoring (11.0 ppg.) and 2nd in rebounding (5.0 rpg.), while shooting a team-best 55 percent (105-of-191) from the field and 76.3 percent (119-of-156) from the stripe.
• Gipson was named All-Big 12 Honorable Mention for the second consecutive season.
• Gipson became the 26th Wildcat to eclipse the 1,000-point barrier vs. Texas Southern (12/28/14), while he is the 12th player with at least 1,000 career points and 500 career rebounds... He currently ranks 14th (1,216) on the school's scoring list.
• Gipson is 1 of 7 players to rank in the school's Top 15 in both career scoring and rebounding, joining Bob Boozer, Jack Parr, Rolando Blackman, Ed Nealy, Jamar Samuels and Rodney McGruder... He is 14th in scoring and 7th in rebounding.
• Gipson ranks in the Top 10 in 7 career categories, including 1st in defensive rebounds (422), 3rd in offensive rebounds (271), 5th in games (130), 7th in FG percentage (53.2) and rebounds (693) and free throws attempted (492) and 9th in starts (94).
• Gipson's career 53.2 field goal percentage is the highest since Pervis Pasco connected on 53.3 percent from 2001-03... It is the 3rd-highest field goal percentage by a 4-year player behind Steve Soldner (1975-79) and Carl Gerlach (1972-76).
• Gipson, who played in his 100th career game in the opener vs. Southern Utah, has scored in double figures in 24 of the last 38 games (including 17 times this season)... He saw his streak of 12 double-digit scoring games in a row end vs. Purdue (11/24/14)... He has led the team in scoring 9 times and rebounding 12 times, which is tops on the team.
• Gipson earned his 9th career double-double (1st this season) with 15 points and 11 rebounds at Texas (3/7/15).
• Gipson collected his 5th career 20-point game vs. UMKC (11/17/14) with a team-high 21 points.
TWO BETTER THAN ONE
• Sophomore point guards Nigel Johnson and Jevon Thomas make an impressive 1-2 punch for the K-State backcourt... The duo have combined for 151 assists (to 101 turnovers) and 66 steals to go with 296 points on 39.3 percent shooting.
• Thomas is 1st in assists (98) and steals (35) and 4th in minutes (25.9); Johnson is 3rd in steals (31) and 4th in assists (53).
• Thomas is in the Big 12's Top 15 in 2 categories, including 11th in assists (3.4 apg.) and 10th in assist-to-turnover ratio (1.4).
• Thomas and Johnson have led K-State in assists in 23 of 31 games with Thomas dishing out a team-high in assists 15 times.
• Thomas has dished out 4 or more assists in 12 games, including a season-best 9 vs. UMKC (11/17/14).
• The duo is even more impressive in the 15 wins, combining for 90 assists to 48 turnovers (1.9 assist-to-turnover ratio), as Johnson is averaging 6.7 points on 50.7 percent shooting and Thomas is averaging 4.7 points on 37.9 percent shooting.
• Johnson has scored in double figures in 6 games, including a career-high 20 points vs. No 8/9 Kansas (2/23/15) on a career-best 8-of-11 field goals, while Thomas has double-digit points in 2 games, including a season-high 13 at Tennessee (12/6/14).
TRANSFERS MAKING AN IMPACT
• Transfers Justin Edwards (Maine) and Stephen Hurt (Lipscomb/NW Florida State) are starting to make their presence felt after a slow start to the season... Edwards is 1st in steals (36) and is 4th in scoring (6.5 ppg.) and rebounding (3.2 rpg.) and 5th in assists (1.7 apg.), while Hurt is 6th in rebounding (2.8 rpg.) and 7th in scoring (4.3 ppg.).
• Edwards has 7 double-digit scoring games, including 5 in Big 12 play, while Hurt has 3 with a season-high 15 at Oklahoma.
• In Big 12 play, Edwards averaged 7.0 points on 40.5 percent shooting and Hurt averaged 3.7 points on 40.4 percent shooting.
• The pair have been impactful in the 15 wins combining for 13.2 points on 49.7 percent shooting, as Edwards is averaging 8.3 points on 46.8 percent shooting with 3.7 rebounds and Hurt is at 6.1 points on 55.1 percent shooting with 3.5 rebounds.