No. 17 K-State Earns First Win at Texas Tech since 1997

Collin Klein cracked the 1,000-yard barrier for rushing with his 110 on the ground vs. Tech.

Oct. 15, 2011

Final Stats | Postgame Notes | Quotes | Photo Gallery 

LUBBOCK, Texas - No. 17 Kansas State got production from all aspects of its team, including a four touchdown effort by junior quarterback Collin Klein, to earn its first win at Texas Tech since 1997 with a 41-34 victory on Saturday night before 49,744 fans at Jones AT&T Stadium.

With the victory, the Wildcats moved to 6-0 for the fifth time under head coach Bill Snyder and for the first time since 2000. The squad is now bowl eligible for the 14th time under Snyder, including consecutive years for the first time since 2002 and 2003. In addition, the team is unbeaten after three Big 12 games for the first time since 1999.

Klein ran for 110 yards on 23 carries, scoring on three short runs and hitting Chris Harper for a 3-yard TD pass on the Wildcats' first drive of the third quarter.  He was 12-of-18 through the air for 146 yards.  Running back John Hubert added 76 yards on the ground on 19 carries.  
Freshman Tyler Lockett returned a kickoff 100 yards early in the second quarter for K-State.  It tied for the longest return in school history, matching William Powell's 100-yard return against Baylor on Oct. 23, 2010.  Overall, it was the 20th kickoff return for a touchdown and the eighth since 2008.

After allowing Texas Tech (4-2, 1-2) 28 points in the first half, the K-State defense was stellar after halftime, holding the high-octane Red Raiders to just two field goals in the second half.
Texas Tech quarterback Seth Doege had 461 yards and a touchdown on 43-of-63 passing, but had three of his four turnovers in consecutive possessions in the fourth quarter.  He also ran for a score.  He had just one interception coming into the game.
After Texas Tech's field goal late in the game to pull within 41-34, the Red Raiders recovered an onside kick when Tremain Swindall fell on the ball at their own 47.  But Doege and the offense seemed to rush and failed to get a first down after running four plays.
The Wildcats, who appeared flat in the first half, came out with more energy after halftime.  On their first possession Klein put together the team's longest drive of the game, capping it with a fade to the corner of the end zone to Harper to lead 28-27.  The touchdown pass was set up after Klein scrambled out of the pocket for a 25-yard gain to the 3.
Kansas State, which came into the game leading the nation in time of possession, held the ball for 33:33, while Tech had it for 26:27.
K-State stayed close in the first half, all due to the play of its defense and special teams.  The offense mustered just 94 yards, less than half of those on the ground.  Texas Tech's defense was tough against the run, allowing the 26th-ranked rushing offense just 45 yards on 18 carries before the half.
After Lockett's kick return score in the second quarter, kicker Anthony Cantele missed the extra point to cut the deficit to 14-13.  Lockett took the ball straight up the middle and into a pile of Red Raiders at about the 50.  Suddenly, though, he was out front of the pile and outraced them all to the corner of the end zone.
The Wildcats blocked two field goals, setting up a touchdown with the second.  Defensive tackle Raphael Guidry blocked the kick and corner Nigel Malone picked it up and returned it 30 yards to the Texas Tech 46.  Klein put K-State up 20-14 when he scored from a yard out.
The Wildcats jumped to a 7-0 lead when Malone got his fourth interception of the season, picking off Doege's second pass of the game and ran it 24 yards for the score.  He stepped in front of Bradley Marquis as if he'd read Doege's mind and scampered untouched into the end zone.
Doege quickly redeemed himself, finding Cornelius Douglas over the middle for a 40-yard touchdown pass to make it 7-7 midway through the first quarter.