2003 Win at NU Ends Countdown
2003 Win at NU Ends Countdown
MANHATTAN, Kan. A national television audience witnessed K-State’s emergence in 2003, as the Wildcats defeated No. 18 Nebraska 38-9 in Lincoln for the top road win in the last 25 years as voted by the k-statesports.com staff in Powercat Passport’s countdown of the program’s top wins away from home.
This win had a significant affect on the history of both Kansas State and Nebraska, as the Wildcats secured at least a share of the Big 12 North title and captured the first win in Lincoln since 1968. It was also the first time since the 1958 and 1959 seasons that K-State had won consecutive games against the Huskers.
K-State was just the sixth visiting team to defeat the Huskers in Memorial Stadium in the last 107 games. This was also the worst home loss for Nebraska since falling 31-0 to Missouri on Nov. 1, 1958.
Kansas State quarterback Ell Roberson dazzled the ABC Sports and Memorial Stadium audience with 313 yards passing and two touchdowns and 90 yards rushing on 22 carries. Running back Darren Sproles added 140 yards and a touchdown on 25 carries. As a team, the Wildcats amassed 561 yards the fifth-most yards allowed by Nebraska in a home game, 313 of which came in the second half as K-State rolled to 31 second half points.
The weekly countdown of k-statesports.com’s top-10 road games is leading up to the Wildcats’ season opener at Auburn on this Saturday, Sept. 1.
This is your last chance to take advantage of a special one-year subscription discount of $10 is being offered on Powercat Passport, which provides hundreds of hours of video including live webcasts of selected events, full-game replays, Wildcat coaches' shows, game-day features, season highlights, exclusive interviews with players and coaches and classic games like the this summer’s top road game countdown.
Since launching in 2003, Powercat Passport has been the only site on the Internet for K-State fans to access live streaming video of Wildcat football, men’s and women’s basketball, baseball, and volleyball.
Countdown to Kickoff: Top 10 Greatest Road Wins of the Last 25 Years
As voted by k-statesports.com staff
- #10: October 23, 1999 (Stillwater, Okla.) - #7 Kansas State 44, Oklahoma State 21
- #9: November 2, 2002 (Lawrence, Kan.) #14 Kansas State 64, Kansas 0
- #8: September 8, 2001 (Los Angeles, Calif.) - #12 Kansas State 10, Southern California 6
- #7: September 25, 1999 (Ames, Iowa) - #15 Kansas State 35, Iowa State 28
- #6: October 10, 1998 (Boulder, Colo.) - #4 Kansas State 16, #14 Colorado 9
- #5: September 9, 1995 (Cincinnati, Ohio) #21 Kansas State 23, Cincinnati 21
- #4: October 19, 1996 (College Station, Texas) - #19 Kansas State 23, Texas A&M 20
- #3: October 29, 1994 (Norman, Okla.) Kansas State 37, Oklahoma 20
- #2: October 2, 1999 (Austin, Texas) - #13 Kansas State 35, #15 Texas 17
- #1: November 15, 2003 (Lincoln, Neb.) Kansas State 38, #18 Nebraska 9