Cats Drop Double-Overtime Thriller at Tech

Jalana Childs

Jan. 15, 2011

Final Stats

LUBBOCK, Texas – Texas Tech’s Chynna Brown hit a layup with under one second remaining in double-overtime to lift the Red Raiders to a 68-66 win over Kansas State Saturday at United Spirit Arena.

With the loss, the Wildcats fell to 11-5 overall and 1-2 in Big 12 play, while Texas Tech improved to 16-1 and 3-0.

Tied at 62 heading into the second overtime, K-State took leads of 64-62 and 66-65 before Tech tied the game at 66 with a free throw with 38 seconds left. Following a Brittany Chambers missed jumper, Brown’s layup spoiled a Wildcat comeback and kept the Red Raiders undefeated in Big 12 play.

Jalana Childs led K-State with 15 points, while Chambers added 14 and Mariah White 12. Alina Voronenko pitched in nine points and collected a career-high 11 rebounds.

Down 50-46 with 32 seconds left in regulation, Voronenko hit a jumper with 23 seconds left. Following two missed free throws from Tech, Chambers tied the game at 50 with a driving layup down the right side of the lane to force overtime.

Then in overtime, after the Red Raiders took a 52-50 lead, K-State opened up a nine-point lead at 62-53 before the Red Raiders charged back. After cutting the deficit to six, Tech nailed two crucial three-pointers in the final 30 seconds, sandwiched between four missed free throws by the Cats, to force a second overtime.

Texas Tech expanded upon its 29-24 halftime lead early in the second half with a 6-2 run for its largest lead of the game at 35-26 with 14:32 to play. An 11-0 run from the Wildcats, capped by a Brittany Chambers’ three-point field goal, brought K-State back into the lead, 37-35 with 11:25 remaining.

The Lady Raiders were able to push back in front, 40-37, on five straight points from Brown. A corner three-point field goal from Jordan Barncastle with 9:28 remaining boosted Texas Tech into a 45-38 lead before the Cats battled back to 45-42 on buckets from Branshea Brown and White at the 5:23 mark. Tech upped its lead back to five until a Childs jumper made it 49-46 with 2:50 left before the Cats forced the extra period.

Chantay Caron paced the Wildcats out of the gate as she registered the Wildcats’ first six points and gave K-State a 6-1 lead with 15:16 to play in the opening half. Texas Tech was able to crawl back into the game and trail by one, 13-12, as the Lady Raiders shot 14 free throws in the first 12 and a half minutes, connecting on eight.

The Lady Raiders were held without a field goal for seven minutes, before a layup from Teena Wickett ended the drought and gave Texas Tech a 14-13 lead with 7:18 remaining. A jumper from the left corner by Voronenko pushed K-State back in front at 15-14.

A pair of layups from Christine Hyde pushed Texas Tech to a three-point lead, 22-19, with 2:41 to play. An old-fashioned three-point play from Childs with 15 seconds to play cut the Lady Raiders’ lead to two, 26-24.

Texas Tech’s Mary Bokenkamp connected on a three-point field goal just as time expired to give the Lady Raiders a 29-24 edge at the half. This was the first 3-point field Texas Tech has made against K-State in 70 minutes of game action.

Kansas State returns to Manhattan on Wednesday night for the first of a two-game homestand next week. The Wildcats will welcome in Missouri on Jan. 19, with the contest slated for a 7 p.m., tipoff. Wednesday evening’s promotion is Shalee Lehning Bobblehead Night. The first 1,000 fans will receive a bobblehead of the current Wildcat assistant coach in her K-State uniform.

The game can be seen on Cox 22 within the state of Kansas for subscribers to Cox Cable and on Metro Sports in the Kansas City-area. Fans can also listen to the game on the K-State Sports Network or for free at