Cats Fall in Overtime Thriller

MANHATTAN, Kan. - Brittany Chambers hit a layup with one second remaining in regulation to send a back-and-forth battle between Texas Tech and Kansas State to overtime, but the last second surge wasn't enough, as the Wildcats fell, 75-67.

The contest marks the second time this season the Wildcats fell in overtime after dropping an 80-79 decision to Arkansas State on Nov. 16.  

K-State senior guard Kari Kincaid registered a season-high and tied her career-high with 18 points to lead the Wildcats, while freshman guard Taelor Karr paced all rebounders with nine. Texas Tech's Jordan Murphree led all scorers with 26, and finished just shy of a double-double, with eight rebounds.

Both teams battled back and forth for a majority of the first half, exchanging the lead nine times with three ties. Texas Tech (17-10, 5-8 Big 12) took the lead heading into the locker room, 28-23, with the aid of a 6-0 run late in the half.

Kincaid was on fire from downtown in the first half, connecting on 3-of-6 from behind the arc, to lead the Wildcats in points with nine. Both teams struggled offensively, with K-State hitting on 9-of-29 (.310 percent) from the field in the half, while holding Texas Tech to just 9-of-28 (.321 percent) from the floor.

After the break, Karr picked up where Kincaid left off, connecting on two three-pointers in the first three minutes of the half to cut the Tech lead to five, 34-29.

K-State (12-15, 4-9 Big 12) retook the lead when freshman guard Brittany Chambers connected on a jumper from the key to put the Wildcats up 45-44 with nine minutes to play.  The Lady Raiders battled back to take a 54-52 lead heading into the final media timeout. Karr hit a free throw to tie the game at 54-all with 2:22 to play. Both teams hit a pair of freebies in the ensuing minute, and Tech went up on a layup by Christine Hyde with 1:12 to play, 58-56.

With just over 10 seconds to play in regulations, Murphree missed both of her free throws, and following a K-State rebound, Chambers went coast-to-coast for a game tying layup to send the game to overtime.

Tech pulled ahead with the first points of overtime when Murphree connected on a pair of free throws to put the Raiders up by two, 60-58. Tech rolled from there, going on an 8-2 run to lead 68-60 with just under a minute to play. K-State hit a late trio of three-point field goals to pull closer, but the Red Raiders connected on free throws down the stretch to close out the 75-67 loss for K-State.

The Wildcats travel to Ames, Iowa, for a road matchup with the Iowa State Cyclones on Saturday.  The game is set to tipoff at 7 p.m. and can be heard over the K-State Sports Network.