K-State Falls at Missouri in Overtime

Tasha Dickey scored a team-high 18 on Saturday afternoon at Missouri.

Feb. 25, 2012

Final Stats

COLUMBIA, Mo. – Holding a seven-point lead with under four minutes to play in the second half, Kansas State was unable to close out Missouri on Saturday afternoon as the Tigers nipped the Wildcats in overtime, 61-56, in Mizzou Arena. K-State is now 18-10 overall and 9-7 in Big 12 action, while Missouri improves to 12-15 and 2-14.

The Wildcats were led by the senior tandem of Tasha Dickey and Jalana Childs. Dickey tallied 18 points on 7-of-15 shooting, while Childs added 15 points.

The Tigers were paced by the post duo of Christine Flores and BreAnna Brock. Flores notched a game-high 20 points, while Brock carded 15 and a game-high 10 rebounds. Also in doubles figures for Missouri was Liene Priede with 11 points off the bench, including nine of Missouri’s final 12 points.

After the Tigers pulled in front by six in the first half, 18-12, K-State used a long 3-pointer from Brittany Chambers and a layup from Childs to cut the deficit to one and force Missouri into a timeout. Chambers finished the game with six points.

A Chambers layup staked K-State to a 19-18 lead with 7:18 to play in the first half. The teams proceeded to exchange the lead eight times before the end of the first frame, with Missouri capturing a 25-23 advantage on a Kyley Simmons three-pointer with four minutes remaining. Ashia Woods converted a three-point play with 2:43 to play to push K-State back in front, 26-25. A layup for Missouri and one of two free throws by Chantay Caron sent the game into halftime tied at 27.

A 7-2 run by Missouri broke open a tie game at the half and pushed the Tigers into a 36-32 lead with 15:57 to play. An old-fashioned three-point play from Childs jump started the Wildcats into an 8-1 run and push K-State into a 42-39 lead with 7:51 remaining. The Wildcats took the lead for the first time in the second half. 40-38, on a steal and no look pass from Mariah White to Dickey on a fast break. Dickey followed on the next possession with a driving layup.

Missouri scored the next four points to take a brief 43-42 lead, but Childs answered the call with four straight points of her own to give K-State a 46-43 lead with 4:46 to play. These baskets were followed by a pair of long rebounds and run outs for the Wildcats, as Dickey and White each converted layups to push K-State into a 50-43 lead with 3:51 to play.

The Tigers charged back into the contest with a 10-3 rally to close out regulation. K-State shot just 3-of-6 from the line with under a minute to play and held a 53-50 advantage with 12.6 seconds remaining. Following consecutive timeouts from Missouri and K-State, Priede banked in a three-pointer with 2.6 seconds to play to even the score at 53 and send the game into overtime.

In overtime, the Wildcats took a 56-55 lead on a Caron three with 4:18 to play. However, Missouri closed out the extra period with a 6-0 run as Priede continued her solid play with a transition layup and the final three points of the game from the foul line.

K-State shot .333 from the field for the game, while the Tigers were .409.

The Wildcats conclude their two-game road trip and its Big 12 road schedule this season on Wednesday night. K-State travels to Ames, Iowa to face Iowa State at 7 p.m.