March 20, 2011
Kansas State (21-11) 45 – Purdue (21-11) 53
NCAA Championship First Round
Gampel Pavilion – Storrs, Conn.
• Today’s game marks the 12th appearance in the NCAA Tournament by the Wildcats and eighth under head coach Deb Patterson … K-State is now10-12 in the tournament all-time.
• The Wildcats are now 9-3 in NCAA Tournament First Round games… Today’s loss snapped a streak of six straight wins in the opening round for the Wildcats.
• K-State is 0-3 all-time against the Boilermakers… This was the first time these two teams have met in the NCAA Tournament… The last time these two teams met was on Nov. 16, 2003, when Purdue won 79-69 in West Lafayette, Ind.
• The starting lineup for tonight’s contest consisted of sophomore guard Brittany Chambers, sophomore guard Taelor Karr, sophomore guard Mariah White, freshman forward Chantay Caron and junior forward Branshea Brown… This is the first time this season this starting lineup has been used… This was Caron’s 11th start of the season.
• The 17 points scored by K-State in the first half is the lowest total for an opening stanza this season… The previous low was 18 against No. 14/16 St. John’s when K-State won 64-53.
• The Wildcats have hit at least one 3-pointer in 140 consecutive games… shooting 6-of-23.
• K-State pulled down 42 rebounds on the day to win the battle of the boards 42-27… The Wildcats were strong on the glass offensively with 20 rebounds and were able to convert that into 13 second chance points.
• Brittany Chambers scored 18 points this afternoon bringing her season total to 514 … After starting the day cold in the first half hitting just 1-of-7 from 3-point range she was 3-of-5 in the second half beyond the arc… Chambers also had 12 rebounds to post the first double-double in an NCAA Tournament game for K-State since Kendra Wecker did against Bowling Green in 2005.
• Taelor Karr posted 14 points for the Wildcats on 6-of-17 shooting … Karr was only 1-of-7 from long range, but scored on a number of fade-away jumpers.