Red Wolves Rally Past Wildcats

MANHATTAN, Kan. - The Kansas State women's basketball team dropped its second game of the season to the Arkansas State Red Wolves 80-79 in a game that took overtime to decide the winner Monday night.

With six minutes to play in regulation Arkansas State's Shania Hurst and leading scorer at the time with 16 points fell to the floor with an injury and left the game. K-State took advantage of the absence and on a fast break layup by Taelor Karr and went up three points with 4:32 to play.

The Red Wolves battled back and took their first lead since it was 4-2 with 18:42 left in the first half. Arkansas State stretched their lead to four, 65-61, before Brittany Chambers hit a 3-pointer with 1:23 left in the second half. Chambers answered with a drive to the bucket where she laid it off the glass to put the Wildcats up 67-65 with just 38 seconds remaining. Arkansas State quickly answered with a layup of its own to give the 'Cats the ball with 23 seconds left. Ashley Sweat was able to gather her own rebound and put in a shot that was reviewed and after a short time the officials ruled it was no good thus forcing overtime, 67-67.

In overtime, the Red Wolves jumped out to 4-0 run but the Wildcats responded with a 7-0 run of their own to put them up 74-71. A bucket by the Red Wolves was answered by Chambers who continued to hit big shots for the 'Cats as she connected on a three from the corner a few possessions later to put K-State ahead by four, 77-73.

Arkansas State's Ebonie Jefferson was able to force a couple turnovers and followed them up with two scores to tie the game up at 77 points apiece. After two Sweat free throws, the 'Cats found themselves up two with 24 seconds remaining, but Meghan Lewis of Arkansas State hit a 3-pointer to put them up 80-79 with nine seconds left. The Wildcats were unable to answer giving Arkansas State its first victory on the year.

The battle in the paint was dominated by Arkansas State who outscored the K-State 58-22 and out-rebounded the 'Cats 47-35. The scoring inside came primarily from guard penetration from senior guard Jefferson who led all scorers with 22 points on 9-of-18 shooting.

Chambers led the Wildcats in scoring for the first time in her young career with 20 points. The freshman added two assists in her 25 minutes of play off the bench.

Sweat finished with 16 points and nine rebounds. The senior shot 11-of-14 from the free throw line on the night.

K-State will continue action November 20th at 7 p.m. against Washington State at Bramlage Coliseum.