K-State Fends Off UTA for Fifth Win
K-State Fends Off UTA for Fifth Win
• Score: Kansas State 45, UT Arlington 41
• Records: Kansas State (5-0), UT Arlington (3-3)
• Quick Hitter: Both teams shot poorly from the field, as K-State recorded a .313 (15-of-48) field goal percentage while UT Arlington shot .286 (14-of-49).
• Leaders: Senior Haley Texada paced the Wildcats with 10 points. Senior Ashia Woods carded 11 rebounds. Freshman Shaelyn Martin tallied eight points, five rebounds, a career-high five steals, an assist and a blocked shot.
• K-State trailed for the first time this season, as UT Arlington built an eight-point lead, 22-14, with 5:01 to play in the half.
• The Wildcats were cold from the field in the opening stages of the first half, shooting .143 at one point in the half.
• Texada was the only Wildcat who was able to pry the lid from the basket, scoring nine points in the first frame.
• K-State clawed its way into the lead before half, as the Wildcats strung together a 12-3 run over the final 3:49 of the half.
• Jessica Sheble jump started the rally with a three-point play on a putback and free throw.
• Bri Craig followed with five points, including K-State’s only 3-point field goal of the stanza.
• Before the halftime buzzer, Ashia Woods found Shaelyn Martin on a backdoor cut for a layup to give K-State a 26-25 halftime lead.
• K-State overcame its early struggles to shoot .321 from the floor (9-of-28), while holding UT Arlington to a .346 field goal percentage and forced 11 Lady Mavericks turnovers. K-State turned the 11 turnovers into 14 points.
• K-State opened the second half much like the first, as the Wildcats were held without a made field goal for 9 minutes and 30 seconds and without a point for five minutes.
• Lewis scored four of K-State’s next six points, pushing the Wildcats into a 37-32 lead with 7:18 to play. Martin added a transition layup following a steal during the mini-run.
• The Lady Mavericks climbed back into the game with five free throws and a jump shot by Rebekah Van Dijk to tie the game at 39 with 2:46 remaining.
• Kindred Wesemann connected on a jumper in the lane to push K-State back in front, 41-39.
• Van Dijk hit another jumper for UTA to tie the score again with a minute remaining.
• Breanna Lewis connected on a pair of free throws with 26.9 seconds remaining.
• Following a defensive stop, Texada connected on one free throw while Martin tallied a free throw for the final margin.
• This is K-State’s first 5-0 start since the 2012-13 season. First 5-game win streak since Nov. 9 to Dec. 16, 2012 when K-State won seven straight.
• K-State held the edge in points in the paint 28-16. This was the fifth straight game K-State has held the advantage in points in the paint.
• The Wildcats outscored the Lady Mavericks in points off turnovers, 21-9. UTA fumbled away 22 turnovers on the night.
• K-State was a season-low 1-of-13 from behind the 3-point line on Thursday. The one connection extends K-State’s consecutive games with a made 3-point field goal streak to 246.
• Lewis finished with two blocks. This was her 18th career game with two or more blocked shots.
• This was Texada’s 31st career game in double figures and her fourth straight.
Coming up Next
• K-State will return to action in Bramlage Coliseum on Monday night against William Jewell at 7 p.m. Fans will receive free admission and free parking for Monday’s game. All seats will be general admission. Fans are asked to bring a canned food item to donate to the Flint Hills Breadbasket. The game will be available on K-StateHD.TV and the K-State Sports Network.