K-State Outlasted in 2OTs by Hampton

Dec. 21, 2013

Box Score

K-State Athletics

HAMPTON, Va. – K-State used a pair of late comebacks in regulation and the first overtime, but it was not enough for the Wildcats to defeat Hampton as the Lady Pirates defeated K-State 86-75 in double overtime at the HU Convocation Center. The loss ended K-State’s three-game winning streak.

K-State (5-4) saw three players reach double figures on Saturday. Senior Katya Leick tallied K-State’s first double-double of the season and the first of her career with career-highs of 18 points and 12 rebounds. Ashia Woods joined Leick in double figures with 15 points. Freshman Leticia Romero added 14 points, nine rebounds and four assists.  

Hampton (9-3) was led by Nicole Hamilton and Alyssa Bennett with 24 points apiece. Bennett also hauled in 10 rebounds. Joining Hamilton and Bennett in double figures was fresh Malia Tate-Defreitas with 19 points.

Hampton chipped away at K-State’s nine-point halftime lead in the second half with aggressive, physical defense and timely baskets. The Lady Pirates would capture its first lead of the game, 45-44, with 9:12 to play in the second half.

K-State would regain the lead, 59-55, with a 13-5 run with 3:19 remaining in the game. The run was sparked by a three from Leick and a Chantay Caron three-point play. The Wildcats also received five made free throws from Romero.

Following two free throws from Romero to give K-State a 61-57 lead with 1:27 to play in regulation, Hampton raced up the floor  and Hamilton connected for a three with 1:20 to play to cut K-State‘s lead to 61-60.

K-State turned the ball over on its next possession and Hampton took advantage with four points. Hamilton connected on a running layup and was fouled on the play. After Hamilton missed the free throw, the Lady Pirates grabbed the rebound and connected on a second running layup, this one by Tate-Defreitas with 29 seconds to play.

Romero raced the ball up the floor in the heart of Hampton’s press and nailed a jump shot to bring the Wildcats to within one, 64-63, with 18.6 seconds left. After K-State called its final timeout, Woods stole the inbounds pass and made a layup to give K-State a 65-64 lead with 17.3 seconds remaining. A missed shot rebounded by Hampton resulted in a foul on the Wildcats. The Lady Pirates made one of two to tie the game, 65-65, with 4.7 seconds left. A final running shot attempt by Woods rolled off the rim to send the game to the extra session.

In the overtime, Leick tallied K-State’s first basket with a layup with 4:20 to play to give K-State a 67-65 lead. Hampton answered with a pair of layups from Hamilton to give the Lady Pirates a 69-67 lead with 2:56 to play. After two made free throws from Hampton, Sheble carded a free throw and a layup to bring K-State to within one, 71-70, with 9.2 to play.

After K-State fouled to send Hampton to the line, the Lady Pirates missed both free throws. After the second miss and ensuing scrum, Leick was fouled trying to rebound the ball. Leick made the first of the two free throws to send the game to a second overtime.

In the second overtime, Leick staked K-State to a 73-71 lead on a layup with 3:45 to play. Hampton answered with a 13-2 run to defeat the Wildcats.

The Wildcats shot .362 from the field for the day and registered a 23-13 edge in bench points.

Kansas State will return to action, after a brief holiday break, to face North Carolina State on Dec. 28 in the Surf n’ Slam Classic in San Diego. The game will tip-off at 6:30 p.m. (CT), and the audio will be available on kstatesports.com/allaccess for free. K-State will face either UC Riverside or San Diego State on Dec. 30 to close out its 2013 non-conference schedule.