Wildcats End Aggies? Home Mastery, 67-54

COLLEGE STATION, Texas - Kansas State broke Texas A&M’s 26-game home winning streak and picked up its first road win over a ranked opponent in nearly three years as the Wildcats defeated the No. 12 Aggies 67-54 Wednesday night at Reed Arena.

K-State snapped A&M’s home winning streak - the nation’s longest active streak going into Wednsday night - as the Aggies suffered the first loss on their home floor since Jan. 28, 2006 against Oklahoma. The last time the Cats defeated a ranked opponent on the road was a 55-53 win against Texas Tech on Jan. 22, 2005 in Lubbock, Texas.

Kansas State (9-5, 1-0) had three players score in double figures, led by Kimberly Dietz’s game-high 20 points on 6-of-13 shooting, including a 3-for-6 mark from three-point range. Ashley Sweat added 14 points while Marlies Gipson chipped in 11. Texas A&M (12-3, 0-1) also had three players in double figures, led by Takia Starks’ 17 points. 

It wasn’t all easy going for the Wildcats as they had to overcome 19 turnovers - which the Aggies turned into 17 points - and 19 Aggie offensive rebounds. K-State made up for those shortcomings by shooting a stellar 51.1 percent (23-of-45) from the field and also hit on 45.5 percent (5-of-11) of its threes.

Kansas State got off to a quick start, jumping out to a 10-point lead at 17-7 with 12:00 remaining in the first half. The Wildcats extended their lead to as many as 12 on three different occasions, the latest coming at the 5:16 mark with a 29-17 advantage.

The Aggies came back strong as they hit back-to-back three’s to kick off a 12-0 run to tie the game at 29 a piece and was able to hold K-State scoreless for 3:46 during that span.

However, Kansas State went on a 9-0 run of its own to close the half, capped by a Shalin Spani three-pointer with seven seconds remaning in the frame and went into the break with a 38-29 advantage.

The Wildcats came out of the lockerroom cold as it went scoreless for the first 5:01 of the first half, allowing A&M to go on another 12-0 run to open the half, and the Aggies took their first lead since the score was 7-5.

But the Wildcats tied it up at 43 with a very deep three by Dietz at the 12:53 mark and Kansas State suddenly caught fire as it went on a 17-5 run and held A&M scoreless for for nearly four minutes to pull away from the Aggies and hang on for the win.

The 51.1 percent shooting by K-State was the fifth time this season the Cats knocked down at least half of their field goals and the first time since it went 54.2 percent from the field against Texas State on Dec. 16.

Kansas State stays in the Lonestar State for its second conference game of the season as takes on Texas on Sunday, Jan. 13. The game, which is set to be televised on FSN, tips off at 1 p.m. at the Frank Irwin Center in Austin.