Wildcats Welcome in Texas
Wildcats Welcome in Texas
Kansas State (13-7, 3-6 Big 12) vs. (20/13) Texas (15-5, 4-5 Big 12)
Wednesday, Feb. 4, 2015 • 6 P.M.
Manhattan, Kan. (Bramlage Coliseum - 12,528)
Promotion: National Girls and Women in Sports Day - All girls 13 and under wearing their youth team jersey or shirt will receive free admission
Tickets: Call (800) 221-CATS or visit www.kstatesports.com/tickets
TV: FOX Sports Midwest - (play-by-play) Brian Smoller; (color analyst) Missy Heidrick
Radio: K-State Sports Network - (play-by-play) Matt Walters; (color analyst) Kristin Waller
Kansas State Wildcats
Head Coach: Jeff Mittie (Missouri Western '89)
Record at K-State: 13-7 (1st season)
Career Record: 467-241 (23rd season)
(20/13) Texas Longhorns
Head Coach: Karen Aston (UALR `87)
Record at Texas: 49-35 (3rd season)
Career Record: 150-98 (8th season)
• Texas leads the series, 15-12.
• The teams have split the last 10 meetings in the series, as the Longhorns have won two straight. K-State's last win against Texas came on March 8, 2013 in Dallas.
• K-State is 7-5 against Texas in Manhattan.
• Head coach Jeff Mittie is 1-5 against Texas.
MANHATTAN, Kan. - K-State returns to Bramlage on Wednesday looking to extend its win streak to three games, as the Wildcats host Texas at 6 p.m.
• Defense continues to be K-State's identity, as the Wildcats lead the Big 12 in scoring defense (52.9 ppg) and steals (11.9 spg) and are third in blocks (5.4 bpg) and field goal percentage defense (.362). K-State has held eight teams to 49 points or less this season, including 38 points allowed at Texas Tech.
• K-State is led by sophomore forward Breanna Lewis and senior forward Ashia Woods. Lewis is averaging a team-highs of 11.3 points on a .462 field goal percentage and blocking 3.5 shots. She is also pulling in a career-high 5.6 rebounds including 11 at Texas Tech. Lewis is just one of nine players in NCAA Division I with the averages of 10 points, five rebounds, three blocks and one steal.
• Woods is averaging 9.1 points, a team-high of 6.9 rebounds and 2.2 steals. At Texas Tech, Woods led the Wildcats with 11 points while also pulling in seven rebounds.
• Wednesday's game can be seen on the FOX Sports Midwest, as Brian Smoller (play-by-play) and Missy Heidrick (color analyst) will have the call.
Number to Know
• #KStateWBB has held eight opponents to 49 points or less this season, including four straight from Nov. 18-Dec. 8.
• K-State is 10th in the nation in scoring defense at 52.9 ppg allowed.
• During the last 14 seasons, K-State is 89-3 (.967) when holding an opponent to 49 points or less.
At a Glance: Texas
• Texas (15-5, 4-5 Big 12) enters Wednesday's game following a 64-59 loss at TCU on Sunday. The Longhorns have lost five of their last seven games after opening the season 13-0.
• Texas is guided on the sideline by third year head coach Karen Aston. The 1987 graduate of UALR owns a record of 49-35 (.583) during her time in Austin.
• The Longhorns are led by two active players averaging double figures, Kelsey Lang and Ariel Atkins, after the loss of All-Big 12 selection Nneka Enemkpali to a season-ending knee injury.
• Lang, a sophomore center, leads the team with 10.7 points on a .552 field goal percentage and 6.3 rebounds per game. In league action, Lang is averaging 7.7 points and 6.1 rebounds. At TCU, Lang tallied 13 points and seven rebounds.
• Atkins, a freshman guard, is averaging 10.0 points including 9.2 points in Big 12 action. At TCU, Atklins added 13 points including an 8-of-9 effort from the foul line.
Wildcats in Nail-Biters
• Over the last five seasons, K-State is 26-10 (.722) in games decided by five points or less.
K-State Against Ranked Opponents
• The Wildcats own a record against teams ranked in the AP poll of 72-177 (.289), including a 43-48 (.473) mark against AP ranked teams in Manhattan.
• With its 80-74 win over No. 13 Iowa State on Jan. 18, 2014, K-State has registered a win over an AP top-25 team in eight straight seasons.
K-State Cleaning the Glass; Results in Shiny Wins
• Since the 2001-02 season, Kansas State owns a record of 179-25 (.877) when out-rebounding its opponent.
• The last time K-State held the edge on the glass was Jan. 31 Texas Tech with a +2 advanatge (40-38). This ended a streak of nine straight games of being outrebounded.
• The Wildcats recorded a season-high 50 rebounds against Hampton, which were the most since Dec. 21, 2013 at Hampton when K-State hauled in 53 rebounds.
Quick Hands for Woods
• Ashia Woods, after 20 games, is eighth in the Big 12 in rebounds (137; 6.9 rpg) and is fifth in the Big 12 and 103rd in the nation in steals with 2.2 per game (44 steals).
• Woods recorded consecutive games with double figure rebounds as she had 13 against UTEP and 11 against UT Arlington. For her career she has four games with 10 or more rebounds.
• The product of Wichita, Kan., has pocketed 166 steals in her career - good for 1.71 spg, which ranks eighth in school history. She needs 12 steals to move into 10th on the K-State career list.
• Woods has seven career games with 5 or more steals, which is third in school history. Against SIUE this season she tied her career-high with six steals.
• Woods led the Wildcats in steals last season with a career-high 51 (2.0 spg), which ranked fourth in the Big 12.