Green Bay Fends Off K-State, 68-56

GREEN BAY, Wisc. - Down by as many as 13 right before halftime, Kansas State fought hard in the second half to get back within two, but turnovers and poor shooting throughout the game spelled doom for the Wildcats as Wisconsin-Green Bay went on to a 68-56 win Wednesday at the Kress Events Center.

Green Bay’s Kayla Groh - who nailed 4-of-5 three pointers - led all scorers with 19, one of four UWGB players who reached double figures. Kimberly Dietz and Marlies Gipson led the Wildcats with 16 and 11, respectively, while Gipson led on players on the glass with 11 rebounds and also added two blocks.

Turnovers and missed shots haunted K-State (4-4) throughout many stretches of the game as the Wildcats committed a season-high 20 turnovers, which Green Bay (4-2) turned into 24 points on the other end. K-State shot just 39.2 percent (20-of-51), its second lowest shooting output of the season. K-State also struggled from behind the arc, hitting just 4-of-21 (19 percent) three pointers, including missing on all 10 attempts in the second half.

Kansas State jumped out to an early 4-2 lead to open the game, but Green Bay caught fire and went on a 17-2 run to lead 19-6 with 9:16 remaining in the first half. Groh and Celeste Hoewisch each had six points during the stretch, including Hoewisch’s three-pointer which capped the run and forced K-State to call a timeout.

K-State got back into the game with consecutive three’s by Carolyn McCullough and Kimberly Dietz to pull within seven at 19-12. Dietz later added another three and a layup to pull the Cats within five at 24-19, the smallest margin since Green Bay led 8-4 with 14:01 remaining in the first frame.

However, the Phoenix caught fire and went on a 10-2 run over the next 4:37 to take a 11-point lead at 34-21. The Cats went on a 6-0 spurt, capped by Kari Kincaid’s three, to pull within nine going into the break.

Despite being down by double digits in the second half, Kansas State got within four points on six different occasions and was as close as two at 53-51 with a pair of free throws by Jackie Stanley with 7:08 remaining. But, just as the Wildcats came so close to taking its first lead since the 17:45 mark in the first half, poor shooting haunted the Cats once again as they could only muster five points in the final seven minutes and the Phoenix ran away with the win.

Kansas State will have 10 days off due to final exams before its next game on Sunday, Dec. 15, against Texas State at Bramlage Coliseum. Tipoff is set for 2 p.m.