K-State Hosts Samford to End Non-Con Action
K-State Hosts Samford to End Non-Con Action
Kansas State (9-1) vs. Samford (6-6)
Tuesday, Dec. 30, 2014 • 7 P.M.
Manhattan, Kan. (Bramlage Coliseum – 12,528)
Tickets: Call (800) 221-CATS or visit www.kstatesports.com/tickets
TV: K-StateHD.TV – Play-by-Play: Brian Smoller; Color Analyst: Kristin Waller
Radio: K-State Sports Network – Play-by-Play: Brian Smoller; Color Analyst: Kristin Waller
Kansas State Wildcats
Head Coach: Jeff Mittie (Missouri Western ’89)
Record at K-State: 9-1 (1st season)
Career Record: 463-235 (23rd season)
Head Coach: Mike Morris (Belhaven ‘92)
Record at Samford: 213-160 (13th season)
Career Record: Same
• This is the first meeting in the series.
• K-State is 3-1 against teams from the Southern Conference.
• The last time K-State faced an opponent from the Southern Conference was March 23, 2008 in the first round of the NCAA Tournament when K-State defeated Chattanooga, 69-59, in Bridgeport, Connecticut.
• Head coach Jeff Mittie is facing Samford for the first time.
MANHATTAN, Kan. – K-State will close out its regular season non-conference schedule and its four-game home stand on Tuesday, Dec. 30 against Samford at 7 p.m.
• The Wildcats will look to continue its unbeaten start at home, as K-State is 8-0 in Bramlage this season, which is the longest home win streak since 2010-11 (8). K-State has won 10 straight home games against non-conference foes.
• Defense continues to be the Wildcats’ identity, as K-State leads the nation in scoring defense (46.3 ppg) and is fifth in field goal percentage defense (.323). In addition to leading the Big 12 in scoring defense and field goal percentage defense, K-State leads the Big 12 in steals (13.4 spg) and is second in blocks (6.1 bpg).
• K-State is led this season by sophomore forward Breanna Lewis and senior forward Ashia Woods. Lewis is averaging a team-high 12.9 points on a .571 field goal percentage, pulling in 5.8 rebounds and blocking 3.5 shots. Woods is averaging 8.5 points and team-highs of 7.2 rebounds and 2.5 steals.
• Tuesday night’s game can be seen live on K-StateHD.TV (subscription required), as Brian Smoller (play-by-play) and Kristin Waller (color analyst) will have the call.
Number to Know
• #KStateWBB has recorded 61 blocked shots through 10 games (6.1 bpg) this season.
• K-State ranks 13th in the nation and second in the Big 12 in blocks per game.
• In 30 games in the 2013-14 season, K-State blocked a total of 88 shots.
• K-State’s 61 blocks in just 10 games are more than 14 season totals since 1982-83.
At a Glance: Samford
• Samford (6-6) enters Tuesday’s game following a Dec. 29 contest at Kansas. Prior to the break, the Bulldogs defeated Alabama State, 56-43, to remain perfect at home.
• The Bulldogs are looking for their first road win of the season, entering its two-game trip to the state of Kansas with an 0-5 road mark.
• On the sideline, Samford is led by 13th-year head coach Mike Morris. In his time with the Bulldogs, Morris has constructed a record of 213-160.
• On the floor, the Bulldogs are led by sophomore guard Hannah Nichols and redshirt junior forward Taylor Reece.
• Nichols is averaging a team-high 14.0 points and paces the team from beyond the arc with a 3-point percnetage of .450 (36-of-80). She is third on the team in rebounding with 4.3 per game. Against Alabama State, Nichols recorded 14 points and three rebounds.
• Reece is second on the team in scoring with 12.2 points per game and is second on the team in 3-point shooting at 12-of-35.
Defense Stellar When Combining Steals & Blocks
• K-State is 14-0 over the last 10 seasons when achieving a combination of 20+ steals and blocks in the same game.
• The Wildcats recorded a combination totalling 28 (24 steals/4 blocks) against Abilene Christian. This was the fifth time this season K-State has tallied 20 or more steals and blocks in a game.
• K-State’s combo from the win over Abilene Christian (28 blocks and steals) marked the highest total over the last 10 years.
Sharing is Caring
• K-State has been generous with the ball to open the season. The Wildcats have dished out 15.7 assists per game and have an assist to turnover ratio at 1.01.
• The Wildcats dished out a season-high 22 assists against Abilene Christian on Dec. 22, which was the third effort of 20 or more assists this season.
• Over the last 10 seasons, K-State owns a 40-0 record when dishing out 20 or more assists in a game including two games with 30 or more.
• K-State has been efficient when sharing the ball this season, recording a .665 assist percentage on made field goals.
Lewis on the Defensive
• Sophomore forward Breanna Lewis has patrolled the paint this season in the Wildcats’ new defensive system.
• For the season, Lewis is averaging 3.5 blocks and 1.7 steals. She is second in the Big 12 and ranks ninth in the nation in blocks and is 11th in the Big 12 in steals.
• Against Grambling State, Lewis blocked a career-high six shots and pulled in nine rebounds. Her six blocks are tied for fourth in school history and are the most since Marlies Gipson blocked six shots at Washington on Dec. 30, 2008.
• She has blocked two or more shots in nine of 10 games this season.
• Lewis ranks sixth in school history with 79 career blocks. She is second in school history with 2.03 blocks per game and is third in school history for career games with five or more blocks (4). She has blocked two or more shots 22 times.