Wildcats Upset No. 3 Horned Frogs
Wildcats Upset No. 3 Horned Frogs
MANHATTAN, Kan.- The K-State equestrian team sustained their home winning streak on Friday afternoon at Timbercreek Stables, as the Kansas State Wildcats took down the No. 3 TCU Horned Frogs in a head-to-head battle, 14-5.
- Kansas State is now 6-7 on the season, 2-3 in Big 12 matchups.
- The Wildcats clinched all disciplines in today's matchup against TCU: Hunt Seat, 8-2 and in Western, 6-3.
- Kansas State has now won 17 consecutive home meets in the last two seasons making their overall record at home, 17-1.
- Kansas State is undefeated at home this season with a record of 6-0.
- Eight of the 14 points came from underclassmen in today's match up.
- The Wildcats took home two out of the four Most Outstanding Performer (MOP) honors. In Equitation over Fences: sophomore Taylor Schmidt and in Horsemanship junior Danielle Kemper.
Equitation over Fences
- K-State was a powerhouse in the discipline as they had a shut out of 5-0 over TCU.
- Senior captain Madison Wayda claimed her stomping grounds as she rode past TCU's Kaitlin Perry in a 70-40 victory.
- Freshman Molly Dunn fed off of Wayda's point as she grasped her own point by a 70-69 decision against Jayme Omand.
- Sophomore Taylor Schmidt kept her winning streak in tact as she defeated Nikki Diamantis, 80-73 for her third MOP honor of the season.
- Sophomore Christina Martinelli then secured the point against Molly Peddicord by a score of 80-76.
- Sophomore Henley Adkins gave nothing but her best between Jordan Appel of TCU as she outscored her opponent, 79-77.
Equitation on the Flat
- K-State battled out the discipline with a 3-2 victory.
- Adkins conquered her second win of the day as she downed Kaitlin Perry of TCU, 84-78, and is now 14-12-0 this season.
- Again for the Wildcats, Wayda started the discipline off strong with a carded score of 81 to defeat TCU's Molly Peddicord, 74.
- Martinelli, then, clinched the point against Jayme Omand by a score of 75-72 and is now 6-8-1 this season.
- The Wildcats notched the victory today as they outscored the Horned Frogs, 3-2.
- K-State received scoring rides from freshman Kirsten Chamberland, senior Kelsey Sousa and junior captain Danielle Kemper.
- Freshman Kirsten Chamberland carded a score of 74.5 to ride past TCU's Colby Plott, 73.5, gaining a point for Kansas State.
- Sousa tallied her fifth win of the season with a win over Rylee Morgan, 74.5-74.
- Kemper is now (9-3) this season as she claimed another title against TCU's Erin Gillette, 75-73.5.
- The final score in Reining on Friday was 3-1, as K-State triumphed over TCU.
- Freshman Jessica Johns tallied her second career win with a conquest over Shelby St. Hilaire, 68.5-67.
- Senior captain Savannah Smith clinched her 24th career win and seventh season win by riding past TCU's Brooke Boyle, 67-64.5.
- Junior Kara Guy is undefeated this spring season with a record of 7-5-1 this season as she claimed another title against TCU's Katie Gray, 71-70.
K-State Head Coach Casie Maxwell
- "This win is definitely very good for our team. It is a confidence booster and it is good to be home with the entire team. It is hard to be on the road and leave half of them at home. It is great to be back in our home atmosphere and on our own horses. The girls just needed this big boost of confidence. We have not been making that many mistakes on the road, but it eventually it just drags you down. This win is very good for them heading into next weekend and continuing on into the post season."
Coming up Next
- The Kansas State equestrian team will look to continue their upsets as they take on the No. 1 Baylor Bears on Saturday, February 28 at Timbercreek Stables.