Equestrian Knocks Off No. 1 Baylor
Equestrian Knocks Off No. 1 Baylor
Manhattan, Kan. - The K-State equestrian team ran its home winning streak to 18 straight on Saturday as the Wildcats knocked off No. 1 Baylor on Senior Day, 10-9, at Timbercreek Stables.
• Kansas State is now 7-7 on the season and 3-3 in Big 12 matchups.
• The Wildcats battled in all disciplines against the Lady Bears tying in Hunt Seat, 5-5, and capturing the win in Western, 5-4.
• Kansas State has now won 18 consecutive home meets over the last two seasons.
• Kansas State is undefeated at home this season with a record of 7-0.
• Seven of the 10 points came from underclassmen in Saturday's matchup.
• Five seniors, all of whom have provided tremendous team leadership, were honored for their contributions and dedication to the program following Saturday's competition. The seniors included Karsen Brown, Katie DeLano, Savannah Smith, Kelsey Sousa and Madison Wayda.
• The Wildcats took home two of the four Most Outstanding Performer (MOP) honors as sophomore Henley Adkins (Equitation on the Flat) and junior Nicholle Hatton (Reining) were recognized.
Equitation over Fences
• K-State battled hard in the discipline but fell to Baylor, 3-2.
• Sophomore Taylor Schmidt came out in the second half of Fences strong as she defeated Abby Jorgensen, 75-73.
• Freshman Molly Dunn earned a score of 76 to secure a point after Baylor's Alicia Gasser carded a score of 74.
• Dunn is now 3-1 in her debut Wildcat season.
Equitation on the Flat
• K-State battled for a 3-2 victory in the discipline.
• Adkins earned a big win as she rode past BU's Jenny Mitchell in an 83-69 victory.
• An outstanding performer this season, Adkins now owns six MOP honors and a season record of 15-13-0.
• Schmidt conquered her second win of the day as she downed Sam Schaefer of BU, 81-79, and is now 17-10-1 this season.
• Sophomore Gretchen Koenen defeated Brittney Mirkov of Baylor, 81-73, to clinch the victory in the discipline.
• The final score in Horsemanship on Saturday was 3-1 in favor of Baylor.
• Freshman Kirsten Chamberland is now 5-3 this season as she claimed another title against BU's Lacy Watson, 73.5-73.
• The Wildcats notched the victory as they outscored the Lady Bears, 4-1.
• Freshman Jessica Johns picked up the first point of the event as she defeated Parris Rice, 66.5-0.
• Hatton tallied her sixth win of the season with a victory over Mary Brown, 71.5-69, while picking up her third MOP of the season.
• Junior Kara Guy remains undefeated this spring season as she claimed a victory against BU's Maddison Smith, 71-67.5.
• Senior captain Savannah Smith turned in a strong ride, as she earned a high-score of 72 in her victory over Michelina Carbone.
• Smith clinched her 25th career win and eighth this season with Saturday's win.
K-State Head Coach Casie Maxwell
• "It was really good coming off a win last weekend. Our confidence was boosted from that win and being back at home. We had a great crowd out here today. It was really high energy and kept the girls motivated. The cheering started off with screaming and continued at that pace all day long. That is how the girls rode. They rode up to that potential. They really wanted to finish the season - earn an 18th home win, stay undefeated at home and send their seniors out on a high note. They did a great job today."
Coming up Next
• The No. 10 Wildcats will take full advantage of a three-week break to prepare for the Big 12 Championship in Waco, Texas, on March 27-28.