Wildcats Advance to Championship Round
Wildcats Advance to Championship Round
SPRINGTOWN, Texas- The No. 10 K-State equestrian team faced the three-time Big 12 champion Oklahoma State on Friday and secured an upset 10-8 win over the Cowgirls at Turning Point Ranch. The Wildcats will have a chance to win a conference title against No. 3 Baylor on Saturday.
- Kansas State is now 8-7 on the season.
- The Wildcatstook home the triumph against the Cowgirls while tying in Hunt Seat,5-5, and seizing the win in Western, 5-3.
- K-State now holds a 2-1 lead in the series with the Cowgirls this season.
- This is the second time the Wildcats will head to the Big 12 Championship round under head coach Casie Maxwell.
- The last time K-State advanced to the finals in the Big 12 Championships was in the 2012-13 season as K-State finished as a runner-up to TCU 10-5.
- Seven of the 10 points came from underclassmen in today's match up.
Equitation over Fences
- K-State battled out the discipline with a 3-2 victory.
- K-State's underclassmen took home the three points for the Wildcats in the discipline: Freshmen Molly Dunn and Halle Kutsche, as well as sophomore Henley Adkins.
- Dunn claimed her stomping grounds as she rode past OSU's Jorden Davis in a 154-134 victory.
- Dunn is now 4-1 in her debut Wildcat season.
- Kutsche earned a score of 125 to secure the point after Maggie Drysch carded a score of 124.
- With the score tied 2-2, Adkins came out with a strong performance as she earned a 160 to skate by OSU's Carley Barrick, 158.
Equitation on the Flat
- The Wildcats came out fighting at the end of the day in Flat as they dropped a 3-2 decision in favor of the Cowgirls.
- Sophomore Gretchen Koenen carded the first point in the discipline as she downed Kendall Pedigo of OSU, 127-116, while claiming her eighth victory of the season.
- Sophomore Christina Martinelli tallied her eighth season win as well with a conquest over OSU's Kaitlyn Arnold, 136-80.
- As Horsemanship came down to the final rides, K-State skimmed past OSU, 3-2.
- Freshman Sydney Anson set the tone in the discipline as she came out with a confident and solid ride to earn a 148 to defeat OSU's Miranda Reed, 145.
- Freshman KirstenChamberlandis now 6-3 this season as she claimed another win against OSU's Ty Paris, 147.5-143.
- Junior captain Danielle Kemper gave nothing but her best between Paris Nottingham of OSU, 139-132, while placing herself in double digits in conquests this season, (10-4).
- With a tough scoring race to the end, the Wildcats claimed the title in Reining with a 2-1 victory over the Cowgirls.
- Junior Nicholle Hatton came out with a convincing 137.5 ride, as she took the triumph over OSU's Ebba Lange, 136.5.
- Junior standout Kara Guy's abilities continue to shine, as she secured the point against Justine Peters by a score of 138.5-136 and is now (8-5-1) this season.
K-State Head Coach Casie Maxwell
- "I am really proud of how the team came out and fought from the first ride in to the last ride out today. We never had this in the bag as we went from event to event. The girls just kept on fighting and doing their job. They recovered from their small mistakes and that is where they should be at this point of the season. They kept riding hard and gave the judges something to score -- that is what we are going to expect from them tomorrow. We just need to clean up a few small things. They should feel more comfortable in these arenas tomorrow after the meet today. We just have to come out and do this all over again, but just a little bit cleaner."
Western Rider Sydney Anson
- "I felt really confident about my ride today going into it and I had a very good warm-up. I feel like tomorrow we have a lot of good energy, and I think we are ready."
Coming up Next
The No. 10 Wildcats are back at Turning Point Ranch on Saturday against Baylor, as they will look to secure the first Big 12 equestrian title in program history.