Prospective student-athletes are any students who have started classes for the ninth grade. Please be aware that there are certain NCAA regulations that we must follow in the recruiting process. A prospect can not be recruited until July 1 preceding their senior year of high school. If you have not yet reached July 1st of your senior year, we cannot return any of your phone calls or explain anything about the program beyond your basic questions. We may have limited e-mail contact, so that is the best means of communication. Once you become a senior, coaches are permitted to call prospects once a week and e-mail communication is unlimited. E-mail is always the best way to get in touch with us as this correspondence is unlimited and we are out of the office a lot.
Here are a few things for you to do if you are interested in becoming a part of the Kansas State Equestrian team:
1. Fill out and submit the online questionnaire.
2. Submit a video for review. The deadline for video submission is March 1 immediately preceding the fall in which you would start on the team. Videos should consist of you riding 3-5 horses for a few minutes each demonstrating your abilities in horsemanship, reining, equitation on the flat and/or fences. We ask that you submit video footage from events you are experienced with lessons and/or competing, not that you are riding for the first time on video. Clips can be taken riding at home and/or showing and can be submitted on VHS or DVD. Videos can be sent addressed to the appropriate coach, 214 Weber Hall, Manhattan, KS, 66506.
3. Send your transcripts (do not have to be official) and test scores (from the testing center) to the coaches along with your video.
4. Register for the NCAA Clearinghouse. You will need to be registered and cleared to compete on any NCAA Equestrian Team. See link below.
5. Contact us with questions, or requesting more information about the program at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to make the team
There are three ways to make the team:
1. Scholarship Recruit. A recruited student-athlete who is offered a spot on the roster prior to the start of the season and a scholarship
2. Preferred walk-on. A student-athlete who is offered a spot prior to the start of the season but without scholarship
3. Walk-on. A student-athlete who makes the team through walk-on try-outs. Try-outs are held the first week of school every Fall semester.
All decisions regarding guaranteed spots on the team will be made by the end of March. If you do not make the team through this process, tryouts will take place before the season starts each fall. Please visit the Tryout page for more information.
NCAA Clearinghouse Information: All student-athletes wanting to participate in any sport at any Division I college as a freshman must be certified through the clearinghouse process. The Kansas State Equestrian team also requires you to be certified before you try out for our team in August. Please take a moment to review this information regarding the clearinghouse and how to get certified.
Frequently Asked Questions: This page will answer many of the commonly asked questions regarding our program. If you still have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
Prospective Student Athlete Questionnaire