Wildcats Roll Past Trojans
Wildcats Roll Past Trojans
Feb. 19, 2011
MANHATTAN, Kan. – With contributions from its entire lineup, No. 51 Kansas State women’s tennis extended its best start since the 1989 season on Saturday afternoon with a 7-0 win over UALR at the Body First Tennis and Fitness Center. The Wildcats are now 7-0 this season.
Head coach Steve Bietau utilized the same doubles teams as he did in the final match last weekend in Denton, Texas, and received similar results as K-State captured the doubles point for the fifth time this season. The Wildcats swept through doubles by winning at number one , 8-1, number two, 8-2 and number three, 8-5.
In singles action, K-State continued to receive strong play from its top three positions in the lineup. Freshman Petra Niedermayerova improved to 7-0 with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Yana Kakovkina at the number one spot. Niedermayerova has now won 10 of her last 11 matches and pushed her record in her first season in Manhattan to 12-5.
At number two singles, senior Antea Huljev rebounded from her first defeat of the spring to post a 6-0, 6-0 win over Veronique Luksich. Huljev, a product of Velenje, Slovenia, is 6-1 this spring and is 10-5 this season. Huljev now owns a career record of 54-63.
Sophomore Karla Bonacic won her seventh straight match this season with a 6-1, 6-1 decision over Viktoriya Pluyta at number three singles. Bonacic is now 11-6 this season and has won eight of her last nine efforts. Dating back to the final three matches of the 2010 spring season, Bonacic has won 10 straight spring matches and now owns a career record at the number three position of 9-0.
In the bottom half of the lineup, junior Petra Chuda extended her winning streak to six with a 6-0, 6-0 win over Andrea Steen-Rosten at number six. Chuda is now 10-7 this season and is 6-5 in straight set matches.
Kansas State will conclude the weekend against No. 37 Tulsa on Sunday at 12 p.m. The match will be contested at the Body First Tennis and Fitness Center, located at 3615 Claflin Road in Manhattan. The match is free and open to the public.
UALR (2-5, 0-0 Sun Belt) at (51) Kansas State (7-0, 0-0 Big 12)
February 19, 2011
Manhattan, Kan. — Body First Tennis and Fitness Center
(51) Kansas State 7, UALR 0
1. Karla Bonacic/Antea Huljev (KSU) def. Viktoriya Pluyta/Nathalia Garay (UALR), 8-1
2. Petra Niedermayerova/Nina Sertic (KSU) def. Rachel Pierce/Veronique Luksich (UALR), 8-2
3. Ana Gomez Aleman/Petra Chuda (KSU) def. Yana Kakovkina/Rebecca Van Den Houte (UALR), 8-5
1. Petra Niedermayerova (KSU) def. Yana Kakovkina (UALR), 6-1, 6-1
2. Antea Huljev (KSU) def. Veronique Luksich (UALR), 6-0, 6-0
3. Karla Bonacic (KSU) def. Viktoriya Pluyta (UALR), 6-1, 6-1
4. Nina Sertic (KSU) def. Rebecca Van Den Houte (UALR), 6-2, 6-0
5. Ana Gomez Aleman (KSU) def. Nathalia Garay (UALR), 6-3, 6-0
6. Petra Chuda (KSU) def. Andrea Steen-Rosten (UALR), 6-0, 6-0