K-State to Face Familiar Foe at Big 12 Championships
K-State to Face Familiar Foe at Big 12 Championships
April 26, 2011
2011 Big 12 Championships
(44) Kansas State (15-6, 6-5 Big 12) vs. Kansas (9-12, 3-8 Big 12)
April 28, 2011 | 10 a.m. | Baylor Tennis Center | Waco, Texas
Living scoring available at kstatesports.com and baylorbears.com; Updates on Twitter @kstatesports
Series History and Notes
Kansas leads the series, 39-10... K-State has won five of the last seven meetings in the series... The Wildcats won the last meeting with Kansas, 5-2, in Lawrence on April 23, 2011... K-State and KU will meet for the third time in the Big 12 Championships, with the Jayhawks winning the previous two meetings.
2011 Kansas State Season Highlights:
• Tied the school record for wins in a season (15)... Most league wins since the 2006 season (6)... Tallied most home wins since the 2006 campaign and the most road wins since the 2003 season... Achieved the highest ranking in school history in the Campbell/ITA national rankings on March 29 of No. 31... Has been ranked for 12 consecutive weeks, which is the most since the 2006 season... Started the season 7-0, which was the best unbeaten start to a season since the 1989 campaign... Surpassed the 1989 squad with a 12-4 record after 16 matches.
• Registered wins over Baylor and Texas A&M this season.... Defeated the Aggies for the first time in the history of the series (17 meetings)... Tallied its first win over the Lady Bears since the 2000 season, just the fourth in the series (19 meetings) and the first in 11 attempts in Waco.
• Petra Niedermayerova was named Big 12 Player of the Week on March 29, after registering three wins over ranked foes in an eight-day span... Has been ranked four times this season... Niedermayerova has the second-most wins by a freshman in school history and is tied for fifth in school history for overall wins in a season with her 23-8 record... Her winning percentage for the season (.742) ranks third in school history... She also finished as the Big 12 champion at the number one position with a 9-2 record... Started the spring on seven-match winning streak.
• Ana Gomez Aleman has achieved a career-high for wins with a 19-12 record this season... Currently owns a career-best eight-match win streak... Secured a pair of match-clinching victories this season (Texas A&M and Iowa State)... Tied for the team lead in doubles wins with 18.
MANHATTAN, Kan. - No. 44 Kansas State will face a familiar opponent in the first round of the 2011 Big 12 Women’s Tennis Championships on Thursday at 10 a.m., as the number seven seed Wildcats will face No. 10 seed Kansas at the Baylor Tennis Center. This will be the first time since the 2008 season and just the second time for K-State, that the Wildcats will face its final regular season foe in the first round of the Big 12 Championships.
With a first round win in the Big 12 Championships, K-State will set the school record for wins in a season. Currently, the Wildcats’ season winning percentage of 71.4 is a new school record and is just the second season in the program’s 35-year history that is above .700 (1989).
In its final regular season match of the 2011 spring season on April 23, K-State (15-6, 6-5 Big 12) tied the school record for wins in a season with a 5-2 victory over Kansas in Lawrence. The win tied the school record for wins in a season and secured the first winning season in league play since the 2006 campaign. It was also the sixth road win of the season, which is the most since the 2003 season.
The Wildcats were led by freshman Petra Niedermayerova and sophomore Carmen Borau Ramos winning at number one and six singles, respectively. Niedermayerova improved her winning streak to six matches with a 6-2, 6-2 victory over No. 101 Ekaterina Morozova.
Niedermayerova closed out the regular season as the Big 12 champion at the number one position with a sterling 9-2 record in league play. The product of Brno, Czech Republic is 23-8 overall this season and is tied for fifth in school history for the most wins in a single season. Her winning percentage this season of 74.2 ranks third in school history while she is 18-3 this spring overall at the number one position. She has also amassed a 6-1 record against ranked opponents including a current streak of five straight wins.
Borau Ramos dispatched of Dylan Windom in straight sets at number six singles, 6-4, 7-5. The win marks the first time this spring that Borau Ramos has carded consecutive victories in singles action. She finishes the regular season with a 9-15 record and a 4-6 mark in Big 12 action.
Following its action at the 2011 Big 12 women’s Tennis Championships, the Wildcats will await its NCAA Championships fate with the selection show on Tuesday, May 3 at 4:30 p.m., at www.NCAA.com.
K-State in the Big 12 Championships
The Wildcats enter this week’s Big 12 Championships as a number seven seed, which is the Wildcats highest seed since the 2006 campaign.
K-State will look to end a three-match skid in the event, with its last win in the Big 12 Championships coming on April 24, 2008 against Nebraska. K-State is 9-14 in the Big 12 Championships and have reached the quarterfinals eight times, including a semifinal appearance during the 2000 season. As a number seven seed, K-State is 2-3 with previous appearances as the seventh seed coming in 1998 and 2006.