Volleyball Heads to Waco for First Big 12 Road Match Sunday
Volleyball Heads to Waco for First Big 12 Road Match Sunday
SEPT 25, 2:00 PM CT
12-2 (1-0 Big 12)
12-4 (0-0 Big 12)
Fox Sports Southwest Plus
MANHATTAN, Kan. – The 23rd-ranked Kansas State volleyball team takes its 10-match winning streak to Waco, Texas, to take on the Baylor Bears in its first Big 12 road match of the season. The Wildcats defeated Iowa State in four sets on Wednesday to open up conference play.
First serve is scheduled for 2 p.m., with the match being broadcast on Fox Sports Southwest Plus and Fox College Sports Pacific. The match can also be heard at 1350 KMAN.
AT A GLANCE
· Kansas State heads to Waco, Texas, to square off with Baylor for its first Big 12 road match of the season.
· K-State won its Big 12 opener, 3-1, over Iowa State Wednesday night to extend its winning streak to 10 matches.
· This will be Baylor’s first conference match of the season.
· The match can be seen on Fox Sports Southwest Plus and Fox College Sports Pacific. The match can also be heard on radio at 1350 KMAN.
A LOOK AT K-STATE
· K-State climbed two spots to No. 23 in the latest AVCA Top 25 Poll.
· Though the official NCAA RPI is not released until October, the latest unofficial RPI has Kansas State ranked No. 12, a ranking that factors wins and strength of schedule.
· K-State currently has the second-highest RPI in the Big 12 behind Texas at No. 4.
· The highest RPI K-State has finished with in the Suzie Fritz era is sixth in 2003.
· Kansas State leads the Big 12 in team kills per set (14.27), assists per set (13.60) and total assists (707).
· The Cats are No. 10 nationally in assists per set along and are in the top 20 in kills per set (19th), assists per set (10th) and total assists (8th).
· K-State ranks second in the league in team service aces per set at 1.38 and tied for third in team hitting percentage with .264.
· The Wildcats are fourth in the conference in team digs per set (15.58) and blocks per set (2.42).
· The Wildcats are 5-5 in their last 10 Big 12 road openers, and 7-8 overall in those matches under head coach Suzie Fritz.
A LOOK AT BAYLOR
· Baylor hosts Kansas State in its 2016 Big 12 opener after a bye during the first week of the conference schedule.
· BU has won its last eight matches and nine of its last 10 overall.
· The Bears are 6-1 at home this season.
· Baylor was picked one spot behind K-State in seventh in the Big 12 preseason coaches’ poll.
· The Bears are led by junior outside hitter Katie Staiger who averages 5.41 kills/set this season to lead the Big 12.
· Staiger also leads the league in total points (338.5) and points/set (6.04).
· Baylor leads the Big 12 in blocks/set with 2.76 and allow the second-lowest hitting percentage with .152.
· Baylor and K-State each average 1.38 service aces/set.
A LOOK AT THE SERIES
· K-State owns a 27-14 all-time record vs. Baylor, including an 11-9 mark on the road.
· Since 2009, K-State is 2-5 at Baylor, who defeated the Wildcats in three sets in 2015.
· The Wildcats have not faced Baylor in their conference road opener since 2009 (lost, 3-1).
· The two teams have split the season series each season since 2012.
· No team has won more than two straight matches in the series since 2010.
· Fritz is 20-10 all-time vs. Iowa State (since 2001) and is 8-7 on the road against the Bears.
· Junior opposite Bryna Vogel was named Big 12 Offensive Player of the Week for the first time in her career Monday.
· She had a career week last week - setting a new career high with 18 kills in a four-set win over Creighton and then breaking that mark with 21 against Southern Mississippi.
· Her career-best 21 kills also came on a career-high .704 (21k-2e-27ta) attack efficiency.
· Her .704 mark was just .002 shy of Kansas State’s all-time efficiency record for a four-set match.
· No player in K-State history has posted more kills at a higher percentage than Bryna Vogel did Saturday against Southern Miss.
· She has led the Cats in kills in three of the past five matches.
· Vogel has hit at least .300 in each of the past eight matches - reaching the .400 mark in four of those matches.
· The Clearwater, Kansas, native has hit at least .300 in 11 of K-State’s 14 matches this year and has hit better than .400 five times.
· Redshirt senior setter Katie Brand was named to the all-tournament team at the Arkansas Invitational last week.
· In four non-conference tournaments, the Grand Island, Nebraska, native has been selected all-tournament in all four events, and was named MVP of the Wildcat Classic.
· Brand ranks fifth in the NCAA and leads the Big 12 in assists per set with 11.71.
· Brand posted 60 assists against Southern Miss, her fourth career 60-assist match. The mark was four shy of her career high and the first time she reached the mark in a four-set match
· She became the eighth Wildcat to join the Double-Grand Club as she eclipsed 1,000 career digs in the win over UMKC Friday. Brand now has 4,085 career assists and 1,021 career digs.
· Brand leads the team in double-doubles with seven, giving her 58 for her career. The 58 double-doubles rank second on K-State’s all-time charts (Kim Zschau, 69).
· The setter is the only Wildcat to start all 14 matches this season.
· K-State will play its second Sunday match this season, previously losing to No. 4 Wisconsin in three sets in the season-opening tournament in Hawaii.
· It will be just the 12th Sunday match under head coach Suzie Fritz (7-4).
· Outside hitters Kylee Zumach (3.18), Brooke Sassin (3.04) and Bryna Vogel (3.02) all average at least 3.00 kills per set.
· The trio has nine total matches with 15 or more kills, with each accomplishing the feat three times.
· One of the three has led the team in kills in 11 of 14 matches this year.
· Vogel leads the team in service aces (14) while Zumach is third with 10.
· Sassin set a new career high with four service aces in the win over Iowa State Wednesday.
· K-State is 9-0 in matches in which it has more or equal number of blocks than its opponent.
· The Wildcats recorded 14.0 blocks against Iowa State Wednesday, the seventh match reaching double-digit blocks and the most in a three-set match this season.
· Twice K-State has posted more than 10 blocks in back-to-back matches, a feat the Cats never accomplished in 2015.
· K-State is 7-0 when reaching double-figure blocks
· K-State also owns the Big 12’s single-match high this season with 16.0 team blocks against Georgia Tech.
· Senior libero Kersten Kober is second on the Big 12’s active career digs list (1,324).
· The Southlake, Texas, native is fifth on K-State’s all-time career list and is No. 4 in the rally-scoring era (since 2001).
· Her 4.12 digs/set rank fifth in the Big 12 this season.
· Kober has led the team in digs in 10 of 14 matches this season and has reached double-figure digs 12 times.
· Sophomore middle blocker Macy Flowers leads the team with 47 total blocks and 1.04 blocks per set.
· Flowers has led K-State in blocks in nine of the 14 matches this season, including being the team leader in the six of the last nine matches.
· Flowers has recorded multiple blocks in 12 of 13 matches in which she has appeared.