K-State Opens Exhibition Play with Win
Wildcats Hold Down Washburn in Second Half
0-0 (0-0 MIAA)
0-0 (0-0 Big 12)
Pfau: 10 pts, 5 rebs
Lane: 8 pts, 3 rebs, 3 assts
Bowens: 7 pts, 4 rebs, 3 assts
Lewis: 22 pts, 5 rebs, 3 blks
Deines:: 16 pts, 3 stls, 2 assts
Wesemann: 8 pts, 4 rebs
MANHATTAN, Kan. – Kansas State used an 18-3 run late in the third quarter and a stifling defensive effort to pull away from Washburn in exhibition action, 75-48, on Monday night at Bramlage Coliseum.
• Score: Kansas State 75, Washburn 48
• Leaders: Junior forward and preseason All-Big 12 honorable mention selection Breanna Lewis finished with 22 points, five rebounds and three blocks. Senior guard Megan Deines added 16 points and three steals.
• K-State darted out to a 12-6 lead in the first quarter, as Deines recorded a steal and layup to force a Washburn timeout with 5:36 to play in the period.
• The Wildcats held a 16-13 lead at the end of the first quarter and increased the lead to five on a Lewis layup with 9:30 to play in the opening half.
• Washburn’s Haley Pfau drained her second 3-pointer of the game to bring the Ichabods to within two, 18-16.
• The teams then exchanged baskets for the next two and a half minutes before a Jessica Sheble rebound and putback gave the Wildcats a 26-21 lead with 5:04 to play.
• A Deines three, a Lewis layup and a Kaylee Page rebound and putback pushed the Wildcats in front by nine, 33-24, with under a minute to play.
• Washburn’s Felisha Gibbs brought the score to 33-26 at the half with a hook shot in the paint with under 10 seconds to play.
• With K-State clinging to a one-point lead following consecutive 3-pointers from Erika Lane to open the third quarter, K-State pieced together a quick 6-0 run to take a 39-32 lead with 7:10 to play.
• The Ichabods clawed back to within three, 39-36, with four straight points with 6:12 remaining in the frame.
• The Wildcats proceeded to end the period on an 18-3 run to build a 57-39 lead. K-State held Washburn scoreless for the final 3:05 of the quarter. For the quarter, K-State tallied 24 points and held the Ichabods to 13 points.
• Deines and Wesemann exchanged three-pointers on four consecutive possessions to jump start the run.
• K-State was able to extend its lead to as high as 29 late in the fourth quarter. The Wildcats held the Ichabods to just nine points in the final frame, while scoring 18.
• K-State shot .500 (30-of-60) from the floor, while Washburn was .271 (16-of-59).
• The Wildcats forced 21 Ichabod turnovers and committed just 12 of their own.
• Kansas State pocketed 12 steals and blocked six shots.
• K-State held a 46-14 edge in points in the paint.
• K-State’s starting lineup of guards: Kindred Wesemann, Megan Deines and Shaelyn Martin and forwards - Breanna Lewis and Kaylee Page made their first start together.
• K-State will enter the 2015-16 season with an active streak of 274 straight games with a made 3. The streak dates back to Feb. 7, 2007.
• Lewis will enter the 2015-16 season with three career games with 20 or more points, 33 games with five or more rebounds and 38 career games with two or more blocks.
• Shaelyn Martin enters the 2015-16 season with five career games of five or more assists, including a career best of six.
Coming up Next
• K-State will conclude its exhibition schedule on Monday, Nov. 9, against Pittsburg State at 7 p.m. To purchase tickets, contact the K-State Athletics Ticket Office at (800) 221-CATS or visit www.kstatesports.com/tickets. The game will be broadcast on COX Channel Kansas and on K-StateHD.TV.