K-State Ends Exhibition Play with Win over Pittsburg State
0-0 (0-0 MIAA)
0-0 (0-0 Big 12)
Burgess: 18 pts, 5 rebs, 5 stls
Lungwitz: 13 pts, 9 rebs, 2 assts
Flott: 6 pts, 2 blks, 1 assts
Wesemann: 23pts, 2 rebs, 4 stls
Lewis: 10 pts, 5 rebs, 3 blks
Martin: 7 pts, 5 rebs, 3 assts
MANHATTAN, Kan. – Kansas State overcame a sluggish offensive performance on Monday night to complete its exhibition schedule unbeaten with a 58-50 win over Pittsburg State.
• Score: Kansas State 58, Pittsburg State 50
• Leaders: K-State’s Kindred Wesemann led all scorers with 23 points and four steals, while Breanna Lewis chipped in with 10 points, five rebounds and three blocks.
• The Wildcats were forced into an early timeout in the first quarter, as Pittsburg State connected on 3-of-6 from beyond the arc in the first four minutes to secure a 10-7 lead with 6:20 to play.
• K-State went without a field goal for the final 7:33 of the opening quarter, as Pitt State held a 15-9 lead after the first. The Wildcats were forced into six turnovers and went 0-of-6 from the floor to end the frame. It was the first time in the exhibition schedule that K-State had been held to single digits in a quarter.
• The Wildcats recorded an 11-0 run to open the second quarter to take a 20-15 lead with 5:23 to play. Bri Craig scored seven of the 11 points during the run.
• The Gorillas ended the half on a 7-2 run to close to within 25-24 at the break.
• The Wildcats had 10 made field goals, but were forced into 13 turnovers in the opening half.
• Pitt State continued its run into the second half, opening with an 8-0 run to jump into its largest lead of the night, 32-25, with 6:37 to play in the third quarter. The Wildcats started the second stanza by shooting 0-of-7 from the field.
• Wesemann helped bring K-State back into the game, scoring seven straight points to narrow the deficit to 38-34 with 3:33 to play in the third quarter.
• Wesemann would score 11 of K-State’s 15 points in the third quarter, as the Wildcats would take a 40-38 lead at the end of the third. K-State’s defense stiffened, holding the Gorillas to six points for the remainder of the third quarter and scoreless for the final 4:45 of the frame.
• K-State was able to keep Pitt State at a margin of six in the early stages of the fourth quarter. The Gorillas narrowed the game to three points twice, 49-46 and 53-50.
• With under a minute to play, Wesemann drained a three-point field goal and Lewis converted a fast break layup for the final margin of victory.
• The Wildcats shot .460 from the floor for the night and held the Gorillas to .279 shooting.
• K-State turned the ball over 17 times and was outrebounded by Pittsburg State, 39-30.
• K-State held a 30-12 advantage in points in the paint.
• K-State’s starting lineup of guards: Kindred Wesemann, Megan Deines and Shaelyn Martin and forwards - Breanna Lewis and Kaylee Page made their second straight start together in exhibition action.
• K-State will enter the 2015-16 season with an active streak of 274 straight games with a made 3. The streak dates back to Feb. 7, 2007.
Coming up Next
• K-State will open the 2015-16 non-conference portion of its schedule on Friday, Nov. 13, at Tulsa at 7 p.m. The game can be heard on the K-State Sports Network and for free at kstatesports.com.