K-State Suffers First Loss of Season at (1/1) UConn
3-1 (0-0 Big 12)
2-0 (0-0 AAC)
K. Page: 11 pts, 3 rebs
Wesemann: 11 pts, 3 assts
Lewis: 10 pts, 6 rebs
Stewart: 25 pts, 8 rebs, 5 assts
Williams: 16 pts, 12 rebs
Jefferson: 14 pts, 7 assts
HARTFORD, Conn. – Kansas State matched up with the top team in the country in Connecticut and suffered their first loss of the season, 97-57, on Monday at the XL Center.
• Score: (1/1) Connecticut 97, Kansas State 57
• Leaders: K-State saw three players reach double figures, as Kaylee Page and Kindred Wesemann each scored 11. Breanna Lewis added 10. UConn was led by Breanna Stewart with 25 points, eight rebounds and five assists.
• A Megan Deines 3-pointer pulled K-State to within 6-5 with 8:00 remaining in the first quarter. UConn used an 8-0 run to build a 14-5 advantage with 6:12 to play.
• K-State cut into the deficit and trailed 16-13 after Bri Craig and Kindred Wesemann knocked down three-point field goals. The Huskies ended the frame on a 10-0 run to hold a 26-13 lead.
• Page knocked down a 3-pointer with 7:57 to play in the second quarter to pull K-State to within 32-18. The Huskies registered an 8-3 run to build a 40-21 advantage. The Wildcats outscored UConn 6-4 in the final 3:12 of the quarter to trail 44-27 at the half.
• K-State was 5-of-16 from beyond the arc in the opening half and 11-of-34 from the field as a whole.
• Connecticut forced K-State into 12 turnovers in the first half, with 10 coming on steals. The Huskies shot 18-of-37 from the field in the first stanza.
• The Huskies increased their advantage to 30 late in the third quarter. Page was able to knock down her third 3-pointer of the game in the third, while Craig and Shaelyn Martin tallied three-pointers of their own.
• UConn was able to stretch the lead to 74-46 to end the third quarter.
• Lewis reached double figures with four quick points to start the final quarter. The Huskies outscored K-State, 9-4, to open the period and build an 83-50 lead with 6:21 to play.
• After K-State closed the game to 30, 85-55 with 1:57 to play, UConn ended the game on a 9-0 run for the final margin of 97-57.
• K-State finished 21-of-61 (.344) from the field, while UConn was 37-of-73 (.507).
• The Huskies held the edge on the boards, 50-31.
• K-State blocked five shots and pocketed eight steals.
• Connecticut leads the series, 2-0. K-State is 9-6 all-time against the American Athletic Conference.
• The Wildcats have an all-time record of 120-45 in the month of November. Loss on Monday snapped an eight-game winning streak in the month dating back to Nov. 29, 2013 against Virginia in Freeport, Bahamas.
• K-State’s starting lineup of guards: Kindred Wesemann and Megan Deines; forwards: Shaelyn Martin and Kaylee Page; center: Breanna Lewis. This is the fourth time this lineup has started together this season. Fourth career K-State starts for Deines and Page. Martin has started all 37 games in her career. Wesemann has played in 66 career games and started 45. Lewis has played in 66 career games and started 61.
• K-State has made a three-point field goal in 278 straight games. The streak dates back to Feb. 7, 2007.
• Wesemann tallied her 19th career game with 10 or more points and her second this season. She was 2-of-6 from the 3-point line, marking her 28th career game with two or more connections from beyond the arc.
• Lewis posted her 28th career game with 10 or more points.
• Page reached double figures for the second game for K-State, with both coming on the road.
• Jessica Sheble tied her career-high with three blocks.
Coming up Next
• The Wildcats return to Manhattan on Wednesday to host Southern at 2 p.m. To purchase tickets to Wednesday’s game, contact the K-State Athletics Ticket Office at (800) 221-CATS, visit the ticket office in Bramlage Coliseum or purchase them online at www.kstatesports.com/tickets.