Wildcats Close Out Fall Season on High Note
DOVER, Delaware - The No. 9 Kansas State equestrian team looked to pick up a road victory to close out the fall season as it traveled to Dover, Delaware, on Saturday afternoon, and the Wildcats came out on top with a 11-5 victory at the Dovington Training Center.
· Kansas State is now 3-3 on the season and 1-2 in Big 12 play.
· The Wildcats clinched all disciplines in Saturday's matchup against DSU: Hunt Seat, 5-3 and in Western, 6-2.
· The upperclassmen leadership was evident as eight of the Cats' 11 points came from the riders in today’s match up.
· The Wildcats took home two out of the four Most Outstanding Performer (MOP) honors. In Equitation over Fences: junior Henley Adkins and in Reining sophomore Brynn Critcher.
Equitation on the Flat
· K-State battled out the discipline with a 3-1 victory.
· Junior Christina Martinelli conquered her first win of the day as she downed Hayley Anderson of DSU, 86-79.
· Junior Gretchen Koenen started the first half of the discipline off strong with a carded score of 86 to defeat DSU’s Caroline Schock (80).
· Junior Henley Adkins then clinched the point against Emily Nelson by a score of 92-82 for her eleventh MOP honor of her career.
Equitation over Fences
· The final score in Equitation over Fences on Saturday was 2-2 as K-State tied with Delaware State.
· Sophomore Molly Dunn tallied a win with a conquest over Tiffany Lee, 85-83.
· Again, Martinelli clinched another point for the Wildcats in a re-ride for her fourth season victory by riding past DSU’s Rachel Dantley, 81-80.
· The Wildcats stumped the Hornets on their home turf as they finished Horsemanship with a tie of 2-2.
· K-State received scoring rides from junior Sydney Anson and senior Danielle Kemper.
· Anson carded a score of 68 to ride past DSU’s Alexis Gratkowski, 64, gaining a point for Kansas State.
· Kemper tallied her fourth win of the season with a win over Emily Fick, 73-69.5.
· K-State was strong in the discipline as it had a shutout win of 4-0 over DSU.
· Senior Kara Guy rode past DSU’s Cheyenne Adams in a 62.5-60.5 victory, while senior Nicholle Hatton kept her winning streak alive as she defeated Elizabeth Koons, 70.5-68.5.
· Sophomore Brynn Critcher picked up her second MOP honor this season as she fed off of Hatton’s point to grasp her own by a 68.5-66.5 decision against Alexis Gratkowski.
· Freshman Taylor Todd outlasted Brooke Moore of DSU by a score of 70-68.5.
K-State Head Coach Casie Maxwell
· “It feels really good to finish out our fall season with a win. We rode stronger and cleaner today, so it was good to see those things being rewarded in the arena. Overall, it was a good weekend on the road and our team preformed very well.”
Coming up Next
· No. 9 Kansas State will resume its season, Saturday, February 6, as they will travel to Stillwater, Oklahoma, to compete against the No. 5 OSU Cowgirls to open up the spring season.