Wildcats Drop First Round Battle
Wildcats Drop First Round Battle
STILLWATER, Okla.- The No. 8 K-State equestrian team faced defending Big 12 champion Baylor on Friday and fell just shy in raw score to the Lady Bears, 2899.5-2088, at Totusek Arena. The Wildcats will have a chance to win third place on Saturday against No. 6 TCU.
• Kansas State is now 4-9 on the season.
• The Wildcats had a strong day in Hunt Seat, winning 8-2, while the Lady Bears held the edge in Western, 8-2.
• K-State now trails Baylor 3-0 in the series this season.
• Today’s matchup was the second closest margin in the Big 12 Championship history.
• The lowest being between Baylor and K-State in the semifinals of the 2009 Big 12 Championship, as the Wildcats dropped a 2143-2110 decision in raw score.
Equitation over Fences
• K-State battled out the discipline with a 4-1 victory.
• Junior Henley Adkins claimed a win, as she rode past BU’s Brittney Mirkov in a 165-159 victory.
• Sophomore Molly Dunn captured a win against BU's Paige Parker, 155-145.
• Junior Taylor Schmidt earned a score of 138 to secure the point after Alicia Gasser carded a score of 127.
• Sophomore Halle Kutsche came out with a strong performance as she earned a 157 to ease by BU’s Marissa Kinnally, 138.
Equitation on the Flat
• The Wildcats came out fighting at the end of the day in Flat as they claimed a 4-1 decision.
• Adkins carded the first point in the discipline as she downed Jenny Mitchell of Baylor, 159-155, while claiming her ninth victory of the season.
• Junior Rory Reichelt fed off of Adkins's point as she grasped her own point by a 166-162 decision against Savannah Jenkins.
• Junior Gretchen Koenen tallied her eighth win of the season with a conquest over Marissa Kinnally, 165-143, extending her record to 8-5.
• Sophomore Halle Kutsche outlasted Alicia Gasser by a score of 149-135 to earn a point for the Wildcats.
• The Lady Bears notched the victory in today’s matchup, 4-1.
• Sophomore Paige Kemper gave nothing but her best against Charlotte Green for a 147-146.5 win to tabulate the lone point for the Wildcats in the discipline.
• With a tough scoring race to the end, the Wildcats fell in Reining with a 4-1 loss to the Lady Bears.
• Sophomore Kali Retzler came out with a convincing 138 ride, as she took the triumph over BU’s Mary Brown, 133.5.
K-State Head Coach Casie Maxwell
• “It was a heartbreaking loss today against a tough Baylor team. Our Hunt Seat team rode their hearts out and put everything on the line and dominated Baylor. It is unfortunate that we did not ride to our potential in the Western arena, so that our team could be in a different position tomorrow. We have to make the necessary changes that we discuss everyday to be successful, and I think we are capable of doing that.”
Hunt Seat Coach Jackie Bogstad
• “I am so proud of the way Hunt Seat rode today. They started out extremely strong and confident and maintained that throughout the day. They proved that their hard work and determination over the past few weeks really paid off. The W today was a great way to start the weekend, and we hope to maintain this confidence and momentum into tomorrow against TCU.”
Coming up Next
• The No. 8 Wildcats are back at the Totusek Arena on Saturday as they will look to register a victory on Saturday to bring home third place in the Big 12 Championship against No. 6 TCU.