K-State Soccer Drops Program Debut at Saint Louis






Cramer: 1 G
Hall: 1 SOG
Chassot: 10 SV, 3 GA

Sakamoto: 1 G, 1 A
Tolmais: 1 G
Niehaus: 1 SV, 1 GA

K-State 0 1 1
Saint Louis
2 1 3

ST. LOUIS, Missouri – After 22 months of planning and preparations, Kansas State women’s soccer took the field for its first official match on Friday night at Saint Louis’s Hermann Stadium. The Billikens defended their home field with a 3-1 win over the Wildcats.

“It felt great to get out there and try to problem solve, learn, adapt and adjust as the game went along,” said head coach Mike Dibbini on the first night. “We had some positives today. We had some good shots on goal and we created some good chances. We didn’t execute some of them. If you look at the whole story of the game, we dug ourselves a hole at the start of the game. We came out slow and a little jittery. If you look at the second half, it was a 1-1 tie. That is a positive. The result wasn’t there, but we learned a lot today.”

Saint Louis (1-0-0) challenged Kansas State (0-1-0) early, including a two-on-two breakaway which the Wildcats’ freshman goalkeeper Tania Chassot deflected wide with a diving save.

In the 19th minute, K-State’s Chassot challenged a lengthy pass into the penalty area, but Saint Louis danced the ball around the K-State keeper, but the Kansas State defense stacked up behind her and prevented the cross. However, the ball deflected off a Wildcat to the Billikens’ Shaney Sakamoto who buried her attempt into the lower right of the net from 10 yards out to give Saint Louis a 1-0 lead.

Kansas State recorded its first shot of the night in the 37th minute, as freshman Bridget Howard sent a corner into the box and redshirt sophomore Haley Sutter sent a line drive towards the center of the net but SLU’s goalkeeper Mary Niehaus made the save.

Saint Louis quickly answered with a transition opportunity which resulted in their sixth corner of the opening half for SLU. The Billikens took the opportunity by sending a cross to the far post, which Danielle Tolmais pinballed off the near post and found the back of the frame for a 2-0 Saint Louis at the half.

The Billikens continued to hold possession early in the second half, but the Wildcats recorded a pair of early shot attempts that sailed high. Saint Louis added to their lead in the 62nd minute, as Kirsten Clemens finished a deflection from Chassot off a shot by Sakamoto.

Kansas State put the first goal in program history on the board in the 66th minute, as freshman forward Katie Cramer’s corner kick sailed into the net, bringing K-State’s deficit to 3-1. The successful corner was the final attempt in three straight corner kicks by the Wildcats after two previous corners resulted in a pair of deflected K-State shot attempts from inside the penalty area.

“I was really trying to float it towards the back because that is where we send all of our runners and send it in as close to the goal as possible so they can head it in,” said Cramer, a product of Goddard, Kansas, about the goal. “It all kind of worked out I guess. I got a little spin on it and the wind helped a little bit.”

For the night, Saint Louis held a 24-6 advantage in shots and a 13-3 lead in shots on goal. The Billikens had a narrow edge in corner kicks over the Wildcats, 10-7. Chassot made 10 saves on the night, while Niehaus made just one.

Kansas State will conclude its inaugural weekend of soccer on Sunday afternoon. The Wildcats will cross the Mississippi River to face SIUE at 1 p.m. Listen to the match on 101.5 KROCK in Manhattan and for free at www.kstatesports.com.