K-State, SIUE Draw on Sunday






Larkin: 6 SVs
Gallo: 3 SOG
Hernandez: 1 SOG

Rossi: 5 SVs
Grahl: 2 SOG
Jostes: 1 SOG

K-State 0 0 0 0
SIUE 0 0 0 0

EDWARDSVILLE, Ill. – Kansas State and SIUE battled through a physical match that featured 23 combined fouls and eight yellow cards to finish in a 0-0 tie at Ralph Korte Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

“Our girls played well today,” said head coach Mike Dibbini. “I think you saw progress from the first game this weekend to now. I think coming out of the gates we were a lot more intense. We made some lineup changes that helped with that intensity. We had a veteran lineup in there to start the game to give us composure and attitude that we needed and we built off it. We had chances, they had chances and it was a really good game. I thought both teams had chances, but being that close on the road is satisfying. Bottom line is we got a point out of it and I am proud of the girls.

K-State had two opportunities to take the lead in the first half, as Dora Gallo sent a direct kick into SIUE keeper Juli Rossi’s arms in the 31st minute. In the 42nd minute, Madalyn Russell drove the ball hard into the 18-yard penalty box but pushed her shot wide left.

In the 36th minute, K-State goalkeeper Miranda Larkin stood firm on a low line drive shot attempt from 18 yards out by SIUE’s Mariah Vollmer following a corner kick.

Kansas State held the edge in possession, but were outshot 5-4, in the second half. Larkin had to make two quality saves on a pair of breakaway chances by SIUE to keep the match scoreless.

K-State opened the first overtime with three great opportunities to end the match but Rossi made all three saves. Tatum Wagner drove hard down the right sideline and found Abby Sieperda on a cross but Sieperda nudged it into the keeper. A minute later, Elizabeth Hernandez sent a high ball towards the net from 45 yards out and the ball bounced high off the artificial service and was bumped off the crossbar and out of bounds. Moments later, Gallo sent a rocket to the far post upper corner from 16 yards out on the left side but Rossi dove to make the save.

In the second overtime, Larkin mishandled a cross by SIUE and the Cougars subsequently missed two point blank opportunities, including one off the post. K-State regrouped and Gallo sent a rocket from 30 yards out that was saved by SIUE. Larkin was forced into another diving save with a minute remaining in the match. Larkin finished the afternoon with six saves.

“I saw us fight the entire 90 minutes,” said Larkin about the team’s performance today. “We came out and put pressure on them right away. We weren’t scared today. We came out ready to play and ready to win. We didn’t get the win but I think it is coming soon.”

K-State will continue its eight-match road trip to begin its inaugural season next weekend, as the Wildcats travel to the state of Michigan to face Oakland and Central Michigan. Friday night’s match against Oakland will be broadcast live on ESPN3 and will kick-off at 6 p.m. (CDT). Both matches will be broadcast live on 101.5 KROCK in Manhattan and for free at www.kstatesports.com.