K-State Scores Late Goal to Force Draw at Creighton






Hall: 1 G
Wagner: 1 A
Larkin: 5 SVs

Lordemann: 1 G
Jakubowski: 1 A
Meola: 4 SVs

K-State 0 1
0 1
Creighton 1
0 0 1

OMAHA, Nebraska – Kansas State trailed for 79 minutes on Friday night at Creighton’s Morrison Stadium. The Wildcats were able to work out the draw with a late second half goal from Laramie Hall to end the night with a 1-1 draw.

“This was a great way and a great comeback for us in terms of grinding it out, figuring it out and problem solving the match together,” said head coach Mike Dibbini. “I am proud of the way they battled. They kept chipping away and chipping away and finally paid off with an equalizer.”

Creighton took a 1-0 lead in the sixth minute, as Caeley Lordeman sent a shot towards K-State’s net from 19 yards out. The shot deflected off a Wildcat defender halfway towards the net and redirected away from K-State’s Miranda Larkin. It was the first goal surrendered by Larkin this season, ending her shutout streak at 225:57.

Kansas State broke through to tie the game at one, as sophomore Tatum Wagner crossed a pass from the right wing into the Creighton penalty area. Hall snuck behind the Bluejays’ defense and put a foot on the ball from 12 yards out and found the back of the net on the right side. It was the first goal of Hall’s career and the second assist this season for Wagner.

“It was really exciting to score that late,” said Hall on her late equalizer. “I noticed a lack of focus on their part and no one was really moving on their defense. Tatum happened to play the ball and I struck through it and got the goal.

Moments later, Creighton was awarded a penalty kick as Lauren Sullivan drove hard to the K-State net. The resulting attempt by Sullivan sailed wide right and the game went into overtime.

In the first overtime, sophomore Megan Kalkofen took a direct kick from 19 yards out from the Creighton net. The attempt just missed the crossbar and would have ended the match.

Early in the second overtime, redshirt freshman Elizabeth Hernandez drove a ball to the lower left corner of the Bluejays’ net but Creighton’s McKenzie Meola made a diving save to keep the score tied.

K-State’s Larkin finished the night with five saves. Meola registered four saves for Creighton.

Kansas State will conclude the Labor Day weekend of action on Sunday at Omaha. The match will kick-off at 12 p.m., at the Mavericks’ Caniglia Field. Live radio broadcast of the match will be available on 101.5 KROCK in Manhattan and for free at www.kstatesports.com.