K-State Ends Home Stand with Second Straight Win






Childers: 3 SOG
  Mothershead: 1 SOG
Lillig: 4 SVs

Zane: 1 G
Hall: 1 G, 1 A
Larkin: 5 SVs

UMKC 0 0 0
K-State 0 2

MANHATTAN, Kansas – Kansas State women’s soccer hosted its final home match of its inaugural season on Friday night at the K-State Soccer Complex, as K-State honored the program’s first senior, Abbey Fiser, before the match. The Wildcats sent Fiser off with a win, as the Wildcats downed UMKC, 2-0, in front of a crowd of 2,308.

Kansas State is now 4-5-3 on the season, including a 2-1-1 record in home matches. The Wildcats are now unbeaten in their last three matches and won consecutive matches for the first time in program history. UMKC is 3-7-2 this season.

“I think it is great to have a strong win not only finishing it out but a win that can hopefully carry over some momentum,” said head coach Mike Dibbini. “It felt good. It was a really good win. It was a collective effort by the defensive and offensive units and goalkeeping so this was probably our best overall performance for ninety minutes and I am very pleased.”

UMKC threatened to take an early lead, as Reighan Childers played a direct kick quickly from just outside the 18-yard box and K-State goalkeeper Miranda Larkin saved the initial shot while a rebound attempt from the Kangaroos’ Nikku Lynch was sent off the goal line by K-State sophomore defender Megan Kalkofen.

Larkin finished the night with five saves, with three coming in the first half. This was Larkin’s second straight shutout and her fifth this season.

K-State sophomore forward Tatum Wagner raced out on a one on one breakaway opportunity in the 31st minute. Wagner covered almost 30 yards in a direct line with the left post. Wagner was forced to fence off a UMKC defender for the final 15 yards and her shot attempt scooted past the keeper but rolled just wide of the right post.

Kansas State quickly took the 1-0 lead six minutes into the second half. Wagner drove the ball hard to the left post and was almost out of real estate before crossing a ball over UMKC goalkeeper Anna Lillig’s head.

Freshman midfielder/forward Laramie Hall gathered the ball four yards from the right post and passed back to freshman midfielder Ashley Zane. Zane gathered the ball and fired a shot over Lillig’s hands from 10 yards out. It was Zane’s first career goal, while Wagner and Hall were each credited with an assist. Wagner and Hall have now recorded a point in four straight games.

K-State kept the UMKC attack at a distance, allowing just three total shots by the Kangaroos in the second half. The Wildcats put the match away in the 82nd minute, as redshirt freshman midfielder Elizabeth Hernandez played a ball through the UMKC defense to Hall. Hall outran the UMKC defense and scored from 15 yards out. It was Hall’s first multi-point game of her career and third goal of the season.

Kansas State will end its weekend at Drake on Sunday at 1 p.m. Sunday’s match will be available on 101.5 KROCK in Manhattan and for free at www.kstatesports.com.